Tell me what you know about stripping membranes.

I am scheduled to be induced on Monday, one week past my due date. I was induced with my son and had a very bad experience so I really wanted to avoid being induced this time. I've heard a little about stripping the membranes. Is this a good alternative to being induced? Does anyone have experience with this? Is it a new procedure?

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It doesn't always induce labor, I had mine done and still had to be induced at 41 weeks 2 days. It just causes some cramping, from my experience.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 9:35 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• what momtoElliett said
    and it hurts
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I've had it done and hated it. It's also called a head sweep. Your Dr. will put 2 fingers in and sweep them around the inside of your vagina around the babies head to seperate the Membranes. Which causes extremely painful contractions.
    So if you're going to get it done make sure they give you something for the pain.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I had it done with my daughter and went into labor about 12 hours later. I walked for like 6 hours straight right after they did it and woke up to my water breaking that night! Personally, I didn't think it was that bad
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• well i had it done several times with my second child and once with the first, it didnt do anything except cause a bit of cramping. it doesnt always induce labor. personally to me it didnt hurt all that bad but i have a high pain tolerance. it doesnt hurt to try though if you are trying to keep from being induced.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• You know you don't have to let them induce you right? You CAN refuse the induction if you don't want it.......
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:03 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I had it done and i didnt find it too uncomfortable. I dont know if it set my labor off or not. I had it done on Monday and my sone arrived on Weds. I would def ask...then have sex(ifpossible) and walk. Remember to stay hydrated and rested! Good luck momma...I hope you go naturally!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I wanted to kick the Dr in the face. I actually said a curse word in front of my mother which I have NEVER EVER done before!

It really hurt and I am not sure it did anything anyways.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:12 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Any body else?
    karina400

Comment by karina400 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2010