Worried about my husband, please help adult content

I woke up this morning and realized that I hadn't gotten up to go to the bathroom at all last night (I'm 39 weeks pregnant so that is, like, a miracle lol). I got up to go pee and thought it looked like there was some blood in the bottom of the toilet (covered by toilet paper). When I flushed, sure enough, blood. I wouldn't worry so much if it was from me... but it's not.

I remember my husband getting up twice to go to the bathroom. Sometimes he gets really bad intestinal cramps at night that hurt him really badly until he gets up to try to have a BM. I asked him about it and he remembers getting up, but he didn't know he had bled. He said he couldn't go to the bathroom last night, though, even though he was having the cramps.

What's causing these cramping episodes and, more scary, the blood?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Health

• It could be something as simple as constipation, or something far more serious. He needs to be seen by a doctor. Men are universally wierd about healthcare. They see illness as a weakness. Tell him you don't want to risk your and his baby's future by him NOT going and insist that he be seen immediately. Go with him...if your water breaks in the waiting room, you're that much closer to the hospital. LOL Good luck!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• hemmorhoids,ulcerative colitis,colon cancer,polyps-any of these

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• We are working on this with my hubby. He just had a colonoscopy and endoscopy this week. The testing was 'unremarkable' and it appears that the bleeding could have been caused by internal hemorroids. But that does not explain is other symptoms.
    I had to harass my DH to go to the doctor, you might have to do the same.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:52 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• i would be getting him into the doc. there are too many possible reasons.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• To the doctor 1st thing.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:47 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Sometimes when constipated you force yourself to have bowel movements and break little blood vessels in the process, this might be the blood you saw, but the cramping etc, should be checked out by a doctor, but I know too well how stubborn men can be about going to a doctor.

Answer by older at 9:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Well I would say he needs to go to a gastroenteroligist. My daughter is going to one and they are the best. They will figure out what is wrong and take care of it. One thing my daughter started doing was taking Mirolax daily. Sounds crazy but it did help her move the food through her intestinal track faster and not let it sit in any place like her lower g.i. This helped her lower belly pain almost right away. It is tasteless and orderless and you can put it in water and never detect it. Really it dissolves very easily.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• my husband was sick for over a year before I could convince him to go to the damn doctor- he has ulcerative colitis

it could be a number of things-he shoould definitely see someone and get tested
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Take him to the hospital/ER if you have to! ANYTIME there is blood in your urine or stools, it's NOT a good thing!! However, many conditions that cause the bleeding can be corrected relatively easily....however, it's ALWAYS best to rule out a more serious or life threatening condition!!

If this were happening to you, you can bet your husband would be dragging you to the doctor!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:55 AM on Jul. 31, 2010