The humiliation backfired, and payed off..........

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/20/mississippi.lesbian.settlement/index.html?iref=allsearch

thoughts??

Asked by older at 10:38 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • momof030404 :

lmao, you're seriously delusional if you think that it's only one little girls fight.. Perhaps you still forget stories of people being beaten for being homosexual, denied rights, killed in some countries.. so yes I compare it Rosa Parks stand.

A person making a stand is a person making a stand.... if you want to be ignorant and ignore the struggle of homosexuals as a whole while focusing on one little girl go for it.. but this struggle was a fight for equality, that MANY are dealing with..

When you have to go visit a family member in the hospital because they were beaten for being homosexual, or for being of a certain race, or religion, or whatever.. then maybe you'll open your "pretty little eyes"..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Wow. I can't believe that the school would help make a fake prom for people they didn't want at the real one. When I was in HS there were actually a couple of girls that came in tuxes and no one cared.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Shame...parents acting immature. I am sadden that my son will grow in a world where he will face/see bigots. I really thought in 2010 we would have progressed further than this.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Older, IT agree. Her rights were usurped by a group of parents and with the school's knowledge. Sends a great message that the bully mentality, especially from adults, will not be tolerated.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:33 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• momo, the prom was ruined for only a few, which included her and some disabled students

The entire crux of the matter. The behavior was underhanded to those deemed "unacceptable" by some righteous, elitist parents. No everyone suffers the financial repercussions.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:36 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Mom- do you really think that school would have changed the rules had the girl made the request in the beginning of the school year? Seriously.... Glad legal action was taken, as clearly it was the only way things would change in THAT community. Look at the parent group, THAT is a perfect indication of the collective opinion.

The Unpopular need not attend. BULLIES!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I think the school got the slap it deserved. The girl did try to get permission, and not only was she denied, the principal cancelled the whole prom rather than let "A Gay" come to it.

Are you kidding me? THAT is bigotry in the most blatant form, and the school should be slapped for it. The parents that had a prom for all the "acceptable" kids should be ashamed of themselves, but they won't be. They'll make it all about the girl wanting to force herself on their acceptable lives. When in reality, it's just her wanting to live her life as well.

The behavior of all the adults in this was disgusting. I am glad that they are being punished legally. And maybe the school with think twice about making such an assbrained move to block what they don't agree with.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 4:07 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• A decoy prom really, what was the point in that? Who is running this school the kids themselves? Because by the way that situation was handled sounded like it. I am glad she got some condolences but she will never be able to have that day back.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• it is so sad that she will never have her prom. but lots of good did come from it.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 11:28 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• according to cnn, the judge has not said what damages will be awarded (unless a missed a newer artical) and she most likely didn't know that she would not be allowed to go until shortly before the prom. we never found out when the prom would be or anything until a month or so before. that was when she filed the suit.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 11:34 AM on Jul. 31, 2010