How do you get the stench of cat urine out of carpet?

My daughter's cat has marked his territory...even though he's neutered. I love him too much to send him away.

lizard111

Asked by lizard111 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Pets

• We do not have cats but I had a foster kitty cause a prob in my house once. I did everything you hear to do. The vinegar, the baking soda, then I went turned to my husband's hunting soap. Scent-A-Way. You can pick it up in sporting goods at Walmart, it isn't too spendy. That is what finally helped, so I'd skip right to that if I were you.

I'm potty training a puppy now and Rug Doctor makes this stuff called Urine Eliminator. EXCELLENT stuff!! It's one of their green products, you can buy it at Walmart with the carpet cleaners and soaps. Spray that on, cover with a damp towel (it needs moisture) and leave it for a while, the directions say up to 24 hours. I have just been spraying it on and leaving it, scent is gone when it dries! It may really help you, give it a shot! :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Home Remedy for cat urine smell. This is a great recipe for removing cat urine odor from carpet. Start by blotting up as much of the urine as possible with old rags or paper towels. Next mix 3 parts water with one part vinegar and saturate the spot.Dry thoroughly using the same method mentioned above. Once dry, sprinkle the area with Baking Soda. Next mix ¾ cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution with one tsp. dish detergent and sprinkle over the Baking Soda. Try this first on a small inconspicuous area of the carpet to make sure the hydrogen peroxide won’t discolor your carpet. Next, use your fingers or an old brush to work the Baking Soda in. I’ve used an old hairbrush with little bits of plastic over the tips with good results. Allow this to dry and vacuum it up. If there’s still a slight odor when done, lather, rinse and repeat.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:46 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Nature's Miracle works really well. http://www.naturemakesitwork.com/home/index.php
    R_Kay

Answer by R_Kay at 10:45 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Uhhhh, maybe tear out the carpet and install a new flooring material? Like a wood or manufactured wood floor? Something you can wash and get rid of the cat urine? Sorry,but I doubt ANYTHING will get that out of carpet. It is probably in the subfloor too and you can't get to that with any cleaners. Lots of bacteria down there.
    Good luck.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• rip it up and throw it out.Seriously if you can afford to iether put in new carpet or put flooring down/tiles something easier to keep clean is best. Other wise resolve is good if you catch the first sight or stench of urine.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 10:51 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• the trick is to get a syringe and inject vinegar into the pad under the carpet. You can clean the carpet all day long, but the smell isn't just in the carpet, and if you don't get it out of the pad you will smell it forever. Cat urine is largely alkaline, and vinegar is acidic, so all other things being equal, the vinegar will bring the area back to neutral.
    If that doesn't work, use and enzyme concentrate (something like Petzyme I think, available at petsmart). The enzymes attack the organic compounds in the urine, and they work very safely.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:55 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I always used vinegar and it never worked for me..and making all that stuff seemed like a hassle I have a toddler. I went to the vet, they have stuff that works amazing!!! Not even over 20 bucks either. I had a male tomcat spray my baby stroller..and a female that was peeing inside all the time!! I used the stuff, and it worked right away!!! You can't smell it at all. I can't remember the name of it, but anything the vet has works better than store brands, good luck!
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 12:27 PM on Jul. 31, 2010