Am I being a B**ch?

I am a SAHM to my 4 year old. My husband is a hard worker and when he comes home in the evenings, he helps with our DD for the most part and he puts her to bed every night. But he also likes to tinker outside every night and then on the weekends he wants to go to the lake and ride wakeboards etc. with his boat. I get tired of that after a while and would like to do something different like take my DD to the mountains, park, zoo etc. But he would rather be practicing on his boating skills. I told him that he was 40 yrs. old and he needed to get his priorities right, meaning spending time with us on the weekends in staead of boating, although we go with him and other friends it still isn't good family time to me. Am I being too harsh?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• No. You need to take turns picking the activity. Some weekends you can hang out with friends at the lake and some weekends it should be just your family doing something else.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 11:02 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Well it all depends on how you ask it. Maybe if you do it in a matter of compromise. Maybe you guys should ask what DD wants to do.
    justme581

Answer by justme581 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• no.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• as a boater and one who has kids that wakeboard I feel like I can answer you question. No, I don't think you are. He does need to do more stuff with you too. Can he wakeboard in the evenings? We do. But we live on the lake. It is good he does do some tinkering!!
    Go on the boat with him and @ 4 years old teach your kid to swim and wakeboard too!! Make the plans to do stuff! Summer is short.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:04 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• no. boating is fun dont get me wrong i love it too but the same thing over and over that gets a bit boring. sounds like he is in a slump and needs to get out of it. ask what the kid wants to do one weekend, try to switch things up a bit.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• wakeboarding ''ONLY"?? exclusively?? What do you all do when the children don't know anything else exists/? He will probably find the old look that looks like this........"""what is it that you don't understand, and you always bitch""""......L O O K He is like my d/h and is never ever going to do something unless provoked, ya no what I mean??? {eyebrows lifting} They are that dumb to get things. I have no other idea other than a good recipe he likes to get him going. And does yours cook more than once per year either, mine neither. But if he does it's the one meal of the year, and the same for 15 yrs.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:14 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I have never thought to say this, but you should just do your own thing, the wording of your question was for the other answer I wrote. But really, ......if he isn't going as mine never does, it's cuz they are not challenged with something else. These males are real bummers, oh, yeah!! And by the time he does come around to the though to change it's so historical I've long forgotten.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:17 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Talk it over with him and take turns picking activities.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:18 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• No your not. You should do things you all enjoy. If you have talked to him and he refuses, then maybe one weekend you and your daughter should go do something fun without him!
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• So he's a hard worker and comes home after working all day to help put his child to bed.. After working hard all week, he prefers to spend his leisure time doing something he enjoys. He is spending time with you on the weekends, only while boating and not exclusively with you because his other friends are along.
    Could be a LOT worse.
    Why don't you do your own thing on the weekends? You can't change someone else's priorities. If you are the one who feels that you should be spending your weekends differently, then do so.
    And one day ,when he's gone, you WILL miss these things that annoy you now.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2010