My son is 18mths. And can't fully talk yet.He has taken off his pamper quite a few times. People say it's time to start potty training him. I think he should be able to a least let me know when he has to use it. When do you think the time is right?

Potty training, when is the right time? How do I start?

KHAMONISMOM

Asked by KHAMONISMOM at 6:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• thats when i started potty training,my daughter kept ripping her diaper off and when i tried to change her she would run from it,she didnt like wearing them.thats what got me to get her started
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 6:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• my dd did this too and wasn't talking real good either. I just started training her and now she is doing great. come up with a sign, or use the real one, and make sure you teach him to use it when the diaper comes off. then just go take him to the potty.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My son's two. I've kept a potty chair in the bathroom since he was about one and a half. He sits on his potty everytime I use the bathroom, yet he's only peed in it oce a couple weeks ago. He hates his diapers on. I go through alot of diapers because he wants it off as soon as he potty's. My son's help me grow nurse said don't push it. At his age just the fact he doesnt like his diaper is a start. She said age three is usually the time to really start working with them. All my friends and family members have told me girls are truly much easier to train. My niece is a month and a 1/2 older than my son and a few times a week she'll go potty by herself and even try and dump it out. I guess it depends on the child. Do what you feel though. I think when he's ready you'll know, only your his mommy.
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My son only thought the potty chir was funny @ 18 months. I would put his diaper on backwards. Boys are a little slower at potty training then girls are in my opinion. I have 2 boys and 2 girls and the girls potty trained a full year before the boys.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2008