baby food

ok one doc says its time to feed jazs jar food vegies and fruit. one doc says to give rice or oatmeal (it stops her up). what should I do feed her the food that she likes(right now its only squash, she dont like greenbeans, peas, or nannas) or the food that stops her up (i have to give her juice and suppositories)? with my oldest jar food stopped her up so she went straight to table food.

puresouthern

Asked by puresouthern at 11:43 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree with maggie. she hasn't developed the ability to digest solids. wait until at least 6 months. look for the lost of tongue thrust, sitting unassisted, tongue control, chewing mimicry, and the ability to bring food to the mouth. if you hav to puree food or bend over backward to counter constipation it is too soon. i suggest reading this baby led solids We NEVER did purees. We mealshare table food. jar food and cereal are expensive, binding, bland or bad tasting with no benefit and poor substitutes for fiber and vitamin rich food.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Doctors have no training in nutrition. They may have never taken a nutrition course. Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for the first 6 mo. The earliest to start solids is 4 mo with a formula baby. You never need to waste money on inferior baby food or cereal. You can start with fork mashed food. Mash the food and let the baby feed itself. Banana, sweet potato, and avocado are good first solids. Cereals are hard to digest, aren't needed, don't make babies sleep, and can cause constipation.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a good breastfeeding website with starting solids info.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:48 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• When baby is really ready for food they can usually pick it up and feed it to themselves. Since cereal isn't working, don't give that. I'd stop buying the jars and just give her bits of table foods and let her feed herself. Babies are good at getting what they need, so just keep putting a variety of finger foods on her tray and then let the rest be up to her. If she is not ready for finger foods then she may not be ready for solids at all.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Okay, I just checked another question you posted and it looks like baby is only 4 months old. THAT is why baby is refusing or not tolerating most of what you are trying to give. I say stop all solids until at least 6 months old. It really sounds like her little system just isn't ready yet.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I agree with almost everything Gailll said. You don't have to buy the expensive questionable jars at the store. You can very easily (and cheaply) mash her food yourself, or use a hand mixer, blender, or food processer. Just cook like you normally would, and give her unseasoned portions of what you are eating, assuming it is healthy. Vegables and fruit to start, then as she gets older you can add a little chicken or turkey, (no pork or greasy meat because it will irritate her stomach). Rice and oatmeal cereals are good carbs, with help develop the baby's brain. I add them to the pureed fruits and veggies every once in a while to thicken it up a little and make it easier to eat. Start out giving her food once a day instead of a bottle, and slowly work your way up to 3 times a day. You will know when to start feeding her more food when she starts being hungry after bottles or after bfing.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 12:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I started with the cereal first. As you know cereal is filling but pureed vegetables. How filling can that be?
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Solids in the first year are not to fill the baby up. Breastmilk or formula should be the main source of nutrition and calories. Solids are just to experiment and get used to eating them.

I steamed frozen or fresh veggies and then pureed them and put them into a mini muffin pan and then froze them. You could also use an ice tray. Once they were frozen then I put them into ziplock bags. Then I had single serving sizes of various veggies for my daughter to eat. Depending on the fruit, I either just mashed it up and gave it to her, like bananas, or pureed them, like plums.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I put some vegies the blender and tried to get them as pureed the best i could but there are still some chunks. she prefers my green vegies better than the one in the jar but she loves squash in a jar. she loves the solid foods and i was giving them to her around dinner time cause some many peps say it helps them sleep and it did for her but when i ran out and tried the oatmeal and rice she is up again like she was when i first brought her home. it hard to give her what the docs say cause her formula is similac sensative for her tummy so we have to watch what we give her so it dont stop her up. am i doing the right thing?
    puresouthern

Comment by puresouthern (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Aug. 1, 2010