Dog food... premium brand or not?

My dogs are currently on Eukenuba dog food and its so expensive! I've gone to petco seeking advice... with the intention of switching their food. I was talked out of it because the other brands are bad and mostly fillers. I don't know if that advice was genuine or just to keep us buying the expensive stuff. They said the dogs have to eat more because it keeps them less full.
What kinds of dog food does your dog get and do you feel guilty if its not a premium brand? I should mention that my dogs are absolutely family and spoiled! At this point, I'm paying more per month to feed my 2 dogs than may 7 month old on formula.

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 12:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Pets

• We have a 14 yr old Golden Retriever and she is slowing down but she's still healthy. We feed her Pedigree (small bites for adult dogs). I did try to switch her over to a generic brand a couple of times, but she would always start throwing up after 3 or 4 days of eating it. She doesn't seem to have any stomach or intestinal problems with the name brand - but I also haven't tried any other name brand food. The only "table food" she eats is popcorn that my DD shares with her and that has never bothered her.
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 12:21 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I agree with reading the labels and comparing them. After checking with my Vet. I also feed my Cockapoo greenbeans, broccoli, apples, and cooked chicken parts on occasion. We feed our dog Solid Gold....yep it's high end, but I'm not going to feed her anything I wouldn't eat. Also, very few treats and all natural ones.

WannaBgreen
    wannaBgreen

Answer by wannaBgreen at 12:40 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Always better dog food.

Purina, Ol Roy, Pedigree and other grocery store shit isn't worth the bag its put in.

Don't break the bank to find food, just make sure you are feeding your dog good stuff. www.dogfoodanalysis.com should help you.

To all those feeding purina et al, get a box, mush it up and feed it to your dog, its far better for them.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:44 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I get the stuff from the feed & seed store... its mostly protein, which helps them stay fuller longer. I feed our dogs (all med-large dogs, 7 of them) and a 50lb bag will last me 3-4 weeks. That 50lbs costs me $20-$23 on avg. I love it. I think the brand is "Diamond" I think... not sure though.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My dog was eating nutra nuggets lamb and rice. The first few years of his life he was on dog chow and had lots of skin problems and hair loss. I realized it was the food and put him on the lamb and rice and he hadn't had any problems with it. Now I'm doing foster care and the rescue I volunteer with gives me dog food for my fosters and even for my dog. It's all the very expensive high quality food. Can't think of the name of the food he's on but it's potato and duck and that is all that is in it. nothing else. He hasn't had any problems, already finished one bag and doing just fine so obviously he cannot eat the cheap stuff, whatever they put in it is very bad for him.
    .Angelica.

Answer by .Angelica. at 4:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Premium all the way! Yes, most of them do cost more than the crap brands from the grocery store/Walmart, but your dog will be MUCH healthier, you will have way less waste to clean up, and you will have to feed your dog much less/day. The crap brands are full of corn, wheat, and/or soy which dogs do NOT need in their diets. Dogs are carnivores; just look at their teeth! Their teeth are made for tearing MEAT and grinding (raw) BONES. Don't be fooled by the labels that have chicken or whatever meat as the first ingredient..if the next 3-4 ingredients are some kind of corn, then the food is still mostly corn! Once the water is removed from the chicken, there isn't much meat left.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 1:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Some high quality brands I have fed are Taste of the Wild (grain-free, made by Diamond), Canidae (they have grain-free & some with grain), and Blue Buffalo (they also have some grain-free and some with grain). TOTW and Canidae, you would find in feed/farm supply stores or small mom-and-pop pet stores. Blue Buffalo is found at Petsmart/Petco. Some other high quality brands that I've heard great things about but have never tried are Wellness, Acana, By Nature, Chicken Soup, Earthborn Holistic, Fromm, Go Natural, Horizon, Nature's Logic, Nature's Variety, Orijen, Timberwolf Organincs, Whole Earth Farms... Here are a couple of great sites for rating dog food brands: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ & http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:25 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I feed mine purina.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I would look at the nutritional labels on each brand and compare the "generic" brands with the name brands. If they are basically the same (as I would imagine they are), then go with the less expensive brand--or mix the two varieties to stretch the brand name food longer--ie: 1 scoop name brand with 2 scoops of the generic (or whichever proportion you normally use).
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I buy a mid grade brand.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2010