religious prophets/prophesies vs. 'seers', readers, (ie: sylvia brown,etc)

what is it about one, but not the other, that causes people to believe in them, or not believe? in other words, aren't they all getting their information from unseen 'sources'? or is it simply a case of believing (faith in the prophet/seer) or not believing?

any thoughts?

(i've got MOM-things to do..tawk amongst y'selves!)

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 12:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that people believe in all that because they want to believe. Some people just need something to hold onto and will believe whatever is said to them. Do I think there are legitimate psychics out there? Sure, but I believe that everyone has the innate ability to foresee the future to some degree. Ever heard the phone ring and knew who it was?
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• For me the difference lies within the Bible, if they don't speak according to THIS Word it is because there is no light in them. (Isaiah 8:20) Even those that claim to be Christians must be tested by the Scriptures. ( btw, Sylvia Browne fails miserably!)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:33 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I don't believe any of them so.........
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I think some do know somethings, however most seem to be faking it. Even the ones who do seem authentic, still aren't able to tell you anything that you really don't already know.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• true
    yes...i'm a bit of a skeptic myself.
    true
    ..some people tend to believe in one and discount the other. i guess what i'm asking is, why? what's the difference?
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• ...why am I not surprised that there aren't really any answers to this one...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:24 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• idk..charlotte..i was curious! is it that there is no difference, other than individual opinion?
    this is just something that's always crossed my mind when i read/hear people talk about prophesies, or reading cards, or seeing a psychic.
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2010