what is restless leg syndrome

When I either sit down or lay down, my legs and feet twitch sometimes. They don't keep me awake or wake me up. My daughter says I should go get checked out by doctor. Any advice or explanation of restless leg syndrome?

dragonlady44

Asked by dragonlady44 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Health

• I have RLS and boy is it just annoying. its usually in the evenings when you are relaxing sitting down or laying in bed and its a werid aching tingling feeling and makes you feel like you have to move your legs but when you do it doesnt help. it does keep me awake at times. for me its not so bad at times and others its really bad. they do have medications for it now and i was useing one for a little while i belive it was requip and it was first developed for parkinsons disease but found it worked for RLS. unfortunatly it didnt work for me and i starting to keep me awake at nite so i have just dealt with it. sometimes a warm bath helps or stretching and massageing but not always.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Restless legs syndrome (RLS), also known as Wittmaack-Ekbom's syndrome, is a condition that is characterized by an irresistible urge to move one's body to stop uncomfortable or odd sensations. It most commonly affects the legs, but can also affect the arms or torso, and even phantom limbs. Moving the affected body part modulates the sensations, providing temporary relief.

RLS causes a sensation in the legs or arms that can most closely be compared to a burning, itching, or tickling sensation in the muscles. Some controversy surrounds the marketing of drug treatments for RLS. It is a 'spectrum' disease with some people experiencing only a minor annoyance and others experiencing major issues.

Read more about it here: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/restless_legs/detail_restless_legs.htm
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Your daughter is right, go to the doctor. In my dh case it was a sign of sleep apnea. I am not a medical doctor, just a concerned Mom. See a doctor.

WannaBgreen
    wannaBgreen

Answer by wannaBgreen at 1:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• What you are experiencing may be fibromyalgia. See your doctor.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I have it and i dont have any kind of "twitching" its a hard to explain sensation that makes me completely uncomfortable in my legs and feet. I cant find a good way to rest them and the only thing that helps is standing up, even if its in the middle of the night
    LovesHerKiddos

Answer by LovesHerKiddos at 1:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• it could be RLS BUT it could also be a blockage in blood flow. please see the doc.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a condition in which your legs feel extremely uncomfortable while you're sitting or lying down. It makes you feel like getting up and moving around. When you do so, the unpleasant feeling of restless legs syndrome temporarily goes away.

Restless legs syndrome can begin at any age and generally worsens as you get older. Women are more likely than men to develop this condition. Restless legs syndrome can disrupt sleep — leading to daytime drowsiness — and make traveling difficult.

A number of simple self-care steps and lifestyle changes may help you. Medications also help many people with restless legs syndrome.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• You may be deficient in iron and/or magnesium. You can try supplementing with these and see if it lessens your symptoms.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 31, 2010