Tossing the pacifier.

I had it set in mind that I was taking my son's pacifier (neenee) at 12 months. But right at 12 months he got fifths disease, was horrible sick for over a month straight, then I got pregnant again and stayed over a toliet for 3 months, and also in that time frame my mother died. So there has just been tons of stress lately and I hadnt had the energy to focus on taking his pacifer that he is oh so attached to. So, needless to say, he is 18 months and still sucking on one :(

When did your kids give up a pacifier?

LovesHerKiddos

Asked by LovesHerKiddos at 1:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• neither of my boys used a pacifier.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• between 12 &18 months is a good time. luckly my son who is 4 months doesnt care for his as much as his older sisters did. good luck and i hope things start looking up for u
    VDietrich

Answer by VDietrich at 1:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I breastfed and none of my kids knew how to use one.

There is nothing wrong with using a pacifier until 3 or 4. Once you start it is mean to take it away. You are soon going to have the stress of a new baby.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Well I gave it to my son when he was about 3 months because of teething..and he only had it for that reason..as breast wasn't enough to soothe. Then around 10 months he threw it at the ground and decided to deal with the teeth pain on his own.

If your child is using it out of habit..maybe try to restrict it to only times when he needs it for comfort..then work on it from there.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Gailll is not entirely correct in stating that there is nothing wrong with using a pacifier until 3 or 4. If the child has the pacifier all day long then it can and probably will interfere with the childs speech development. Unless the child take it out of his/her mouth every time he/she speaks.
    However, if it's night time only or something like that then yes, it is fine.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My boy was very attached to his pacifier,, however, I was surprised when he throw it away at 18 months,, just like that, he didnt want anything to do with it since then,, I throw them all away..

I always thought it's going to be a hard time taking it away from him,, but he just saved me that... dont worry he's gonna leave it eventually....

mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 1:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• hey don't let it bother you...i've had 2 of my girls on a pacifier...they were around the three year mark when they finally gave it up on their own. my other two sucked fingers...one thing my husband told me when i would worry about it..."honey, i promise they will not be walking across the stage with a pacifier or thumb in their mouth at their H.S. graduation! Calm Down!". LOL! AND....my 6 yr. old still sucks her fingers when she's sick or really really tired. I don't worry...anymore...we all have a vice to help comfort ourselves.
    I know the "don't let it bother you" part is easier said than done...right?...but, I totally understand where your comin' from!
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 1:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• my dd is going to be 2 in nov and she uses her paci a nite only and has only ever used it at nite. there has been alot of stress in our family lately as well so i have decided to wait a little while before taking it away until things settle a bit more. that and i finally got the bottle completely gone which she was hugely attached it. its hard and i know its my fault because she is my last baby and i so want to keep her a baby as long as possible. so when i finally do it will be hard for both of us. but like the bottle i will just trow it away when she doesnt notice and that will be that.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My main concern for asking the question is how it could effect his speech or teeth. I usually keep it from him during the day unless something happens that really upsets him, getting hurt bad, or when he gets ready for a nap. and he has to have it at night too. And I kinda feel embarrased if I have to give it to him when out in public, etc. I just feel he's too old for one and it looks bad on me, especially with expecting another baby too. Which we didnt plan on concieving so close together. I concived on birth control. But we are still very excited just the same. Just stressing over making sure we are ready, etc.

I didnt plan to ever give him one, but once he stopped nursing, formula just wasnt cutting it for him. He always wanted to suck a bottle and I was going broke buying formula and doctor said he was consuming too much liquid too but was too young for solids, so I gave him a pacifier.
    LovesHerKiddos

Comment by LovesHerKiddos (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Ian is 2 and uses it at night. We had it where he gave it up and then he started stealing them from his sister. The paci fairy might be coming soon.
    TexasWife

Answer by TexasWife at 1:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2010