Enchiladas...need help!

Does anyone know how I can make some enchilada sauce? I have been wanting to make some enchiladas, and I can't find enchilada sauce ANYWHERE. And give me any tips you might have for making them as well...I've never made them before...

jazi1105

Asked by jazi1105 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• i always used salsa, and maybe added some extra "hot" to it with tabasco....I have seen it in my lcal stores, walmart...do you have a mexican grocer in your town/area? googl it! gl!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• 2 cups chicken stock
    1/2 onion
    3-4 cloves garlic
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 bag of dried new Mexico chili peppers that have been simmered in water till softened then water drained (Remove the seeds before simmering).

Blend peppers with other ingredients until a paste is made, thin as desired.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Enchilada Sauce
    1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
    1 Tbsp. garlic powder
    1 Tbsp. onion powder
    1 Tbsp. cumin
    2 Tbsp. mild chili powder
    4 Tbsp. flour
    4 c. chicken broth
    8 oz. tomato sauce
    Mix spices and flour in oil in saucepan over medium heat until starts to slightly brown. Slowly whisk in broth and tomato sauce, cook and stir until thickened. This is a very basic and mild enchilada sauce. You can make it hotter by adding more spices, jalapenos or hot chili powder, maybe some cayenne pepper. It can also make a good base for chili.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• we use chili lol
    TexasWife

Answer by TexasWife at 1:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Neebug's answer was good. Personally, I find recipies from Cooking Light Magazine online are very good and so are BetterHomes and Gardens online.

Happy cooking!

WannaBgreen
    wannaBgreen

Answer by wannaBgreen at 1:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• tomato sauce with salt, black pepper, chili powder, cumin and dried cilantro - yum!

it's amazing to me to hear you can't find enchilada sauce anywhere...here in texas our grocers shelves are packed full of the stuff! LOL

just returned from vacation...went to some northern states...and instead of ice cream parlors they had something called "frozen custard" stands...and NO Dr. Pepper to be found ANYWHERE! only Mr. Pibb...augh!
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 1:32 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I use the packets- you know where they have taco flavor and gravy mix packets? I think it's lowry's enchilada
    *I use a little more tomato sauce than it calls for and I make a big pan when I do them so I get two packets
    I will never use the stuff in a can again-did that once and it was NASTY!!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:33 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• The enchilada sauce I use is in a can in the jalapeño can isle in our town. I used to use those packets with the ingredients and make my own sauce out of it but it gets to messy when dipping the corn tortillas in the pot so what I do now is get as many as you are going to make (corn tortillas that is) and microwave them put them in a kitchen towel for about 45 secs. Then one by one you grab a tortilla stuff with meat shredded chese and with a small ladle pour a little sauce in there and roll it up in your baking pan you going to use keep doing this till you get as many as you want to make left over sauce just pour over the enchiladas. Oh I almost forgot while browning the meat add a can or two of some chili with beans it is sooo good ( add cans as you need them the more u make the more the cans) GL I know you will enjoy this one ;) Make some Spanish rice with it mmmmmm good!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Well enchiladas with green salsa. You buy about a pound of green tomatoes, a half a pound of chile serranos (put as much as you can handle the spicyness). You boil them until they are soft and brown and throw them into the the blender with a piece of onion and garlic and cilantro. Once it is blended into salsa, you will grab a pot and fry onion with lil bit of onion on it. ONce the onion is clear you throw the salsa in it and thats the salsa for it...
    snuggz

Answer by snuggz at 3:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I buy enchilada sauce in a can on the aisle by the taco shells. It comes in hot, medium, or mild. I like medium the best.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:47 PM on Jul. 31, 2010