How can I be happy without a man?

Me and my ex were trying to work things out but it's just not happening. I'm resisting the urge to start online dating and throwing myself at every guy out there. I know I need to get myself into a better place. But I've always been with someone or wanted to be. So how can I be happy with just me and my son?

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 1:46 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• Find what makes you happy. Learn a new hobby, enjoy being with your son, and just work on getting to know YOU better. Before long you will be in a better place and you will learn that you don't need a man to make you happy. But once you get to that place and Mr. Right comes along, then you will be able to use what you learned to better your relationship with another man.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:50 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• oh lets count the ways!! you'll never a urine-soaked floor/toilet seat. no 'tracks' to clean in the underwear. you can pleasure yourself first and everytime. you don't have to compromise or let anyone else have their way to save their feelings. you can do what you want/when you want, no explainations about who you're talking to/spending time with. you can pursue YOUR dreams. you can be responsible for yourself only (and your kids, of course). you can buy yourself pretties-rather than hope he will and get disappointed when he doesn't. you have a restful nights sleep (no hogging sheets, no snoring, farting, pawing,etc). you never have to watch CNN, McLauglin Group, 'Locked-up Abroad', or 'Casino/GoodFellas/Wallstreet/AnimalHouse'.
    and that's just off the top of my head. only you can make yourself happy. no man(or woman) is responsible for your happiness. if you find one that's loveable, its just icing on the cake.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:02 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• You have to learn to love yourself before any man and you will be happy alone.

Answer by older at 1:48 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Who needs a man when they can have a dog!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:50 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• At first I think you need to be BUSY...so busy you lose track of time. Spend all your time on your son and you...be kind to yourself.
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• If you cannot be happy without a man, you will never be happy with one. Happiness comes from the inside, not from the external. You have to learn to be happy with who you are, what you can do, your own accomplishments and talents. You can never ever expect another person to be responsible for your happiness. It's too much responsibility on them and it's a relationship killer, no matter who the person is that you are looking to. Don't even consider looking again until you can be happy by yourself and for yourself. You will only screw up someone else's life, and that is not fair.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Agree with lots that has been said previously. Be good to yourself and find things to do that make you happy. Maybe develop some news interests. Enjoy your son. Be complete by yourself and be open to possibly meeting someone in the future, but make self fulfillment the goal right now. You will then have more to offer in a relationship down the road. Best of luck to you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:24 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Find out what makes you happy aside from your child. A hobby, traveling, gardening, something that doesn't involve being in a relationship. Get yourself busy and find things that you enjoy doing. The more you find out what makes you happy the less you'll have that urge to be with a man all the time. You're with men all the time due to not being happy with yourself, and possibly just to keep yourself occupied. Figure out what makes you happy and occupy yourself with it. Just tell yourself "You don't need to be in a relationship" .. Plus, if you can't be happy alone you'll NEVER be happy in a relationship!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• If you're not ok with yourself, you can't be ok in a relationship - that's using the relationships to try to fill a vacancy that they can't fill because it comes from within. Find what you love, what fulfills you, what nourishes your soul. Learn to be alone - and then you'll be ready to be "together".
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• IM STILL TRYING TO FIGURE THAT ONE OUT MY SELF, MY KIDS MAKE ME HAPPY, NOW I JUST GOT TO FIND A JOB AND START GOING OUT WITH SOME FRIENDS.
    mmm10578

Answer by mmm10578 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2010