do you give your 2 year old multi vitamins?

my son's diet is relatively healthy but I dont see any harm in giving him an extra boost with a childrens vitamin (specifically for 2-3 yrs old). any cons?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 1:47 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I see no cons. if your child already has all the vitamins they need they will just pee out the extra that they dont need. My kids love the Vita gummies. They also take a fluoride vitamin prescribed to them by their dentist to help strengthen their teeth.

josephsgirl86

Answer by josephsgirl86 at 10:51 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Even on the best diet, vitamins are necessary. The food of today is much less nutrient-dense than years ago due to our soil being so depleted, not to mention it's chemically-laden. There is no harm in supplementing with vitamins though I've never liked the thought of a multi-vitamin ... it's the "one-size'fits-all" mentality and everyone has unique needs, plus many of them are filled with artificial colors and flavorings and other junk. Also, note that the RDA guidelines are soooo outdated and we all need considerably more than what is suggested.

You can safely and easily give water-soluble vitamins in large amounts without side effects (the body will simply flush out what it doesn't need); the fat-soluble ones you need to give correctly based on age/weight because too much can be toxic.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I don't see any good in them and wouldn't give them to my son. He eats plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• my son eats many fruits and veggies too. I certainly did during my childhood and ate a vitamin daily for an extra boost. Why dont you see any good in them? what are the cons of giving a toddler vitamins? Do you feel the same way about adult vitamins?
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• my son is a picky eater - his nanna says that a person should never eat what they do not want - kai doesnt want to eat anything.

there is a definite problem if your child OD's on vitamins but not if taken as they should.
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 2:06 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I give both my boys a vit in the morning.. I see no problem if they get it.. When i was little my parents gave me the Flinestone vitamins
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 2:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• everyone in my family (except the infant) takes a multivitamin everyday just in case. i have a 1 year old too and her pedi says it's okay even though the package says for kids over 2.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• my dd gets 1 gummie vitamin every morning and i take my vitamin every morning as well
    mommyziegler

Answer by mommyziegler at 4:41 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Yes, I've given them to my kids since they were two.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 5:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My kids have all always eaten well and they've all gotten a multi-vitamin multi-mineral supplement since they were fairly young - started younger with each kiddo because they saw the older ones getting them. Had to hold off the youngest til he was a year old though, he wanted them at 9 months already! If there's a night we miss getting it they throw a fit or want to double-up in the morning (they normally get one at night, suggested is 2 per day with this kind, since they do have a decent diet we just go with half the suggestion).
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:32 PM on Jul. 31, 2010