has your children ever made up a horrid story ..........................

my five year old child tells her father i starve her im mean and she even went to the extent of saying i put her in the fridgerator to punish her.....she even positioned herself in the fridge to show how i do it and then got out and put duct tape to keep it sealed..........i lbviously; dont do this and i am completely lost i dont know what to do she is completely defient yells screams she even threw a stick at me and hit me in the face ........i dicipline her but it doesnt work i have tried everythang!!!! so has your children ever made up extensive stories like this??????

ashleystoner86

Asked by ashleystoner86 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Personally I love your dd's stories. They show great imagination and creativity. Kids have always made up stories but she's changed from kids saying some monster did it to you did it. I find that interesting. I'd just go with it and not fight her on it. I've never accused a person of doing those things (unless they did something for real) but my stories were always vivid and exciting too. My parents simply encouraged me. Now I use that in my writing. Don't stifle her creativity. She may grow up to write Best Sellers! I'd try to guide to toward another villain though! Help her make up a villain that is more acceptable than mom!

Answer by admckenzie at 3:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• They are still young... But when i was little I was put in an uncomfortable position when I was taken away from my dad. I made up lies about the social worker hurting me and I even went as far as to mark myself... My niece does it now after her parents divorced and it is to get her way she would say that her mom was going to chop off her toe if she wouldn't listen.... Maybe she is acting out or there is something seriously bothering her and she can't tell or express what is going on.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 2:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Please read the book Beyond Consequences, Logic and Control. It is a fantastic book. it's not very long at all only just over 100 pages. But it has helped me a lot with my child's challenging behavior.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:03 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• i agree with claudiomom. i knew a girl who did not like her step father so she told everyone he raped her and beat her and that should could not go home. she mooched off everyone and anyone till people started to wonder about the truth to the story...

maybe she needs some Counciling? just someone to talk to about what is really bothering her...
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 2:09 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Yes my son who is 7, made up stories when he was 5. Maybe it is the age? He cut his chin at school that year when he fell and when asked how he got a cut on his chin, he told the teacher that his daddy cut him on the chin with a knife. That same day, he also told the teacher his brother was dead and that he was killed by a lion in the backyard. I also agree with Claudiomom, she is probably stressed about something and is acting out. When my son was acting out, we had a lot going on (still do). No divorce or anything, but we have 5 kids and 2 have disabilities. It's hard when so much is going on for the kids.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My daughter, when she was 6 told the teacher I hit every morning with a hair brush...I didn't ever, But wanted to after that!
    ckap4707

Answer by ckap4707 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• thank you all she does have a very active imaginations and she also has some disibilities that might not help the situation she has seen over 25 doctors in her young age and me and her father split around a year ago......i just dont want to end up getting my girls taken or anytang because of this but thanks for the great ideas and thank you especially admckenzie that is a great idea we are trying counsling:)
    ashleystoner86

Comment by ashleystoner86 (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Jul. 31, 2010