whats the best way to freeze bulk meat

like hamburger meat... do u divide it up and put in it to freezer bags... or use alum. foil.. then a freezer bag.... what ever im doing is not working bc when i take the meat out its gone weird....or fresh stew meat can i it put in freezer just as is.... or wrap that up in alum. foil...
basically how do u freeze meat thats fresh ...pork stew meat whatever
thank u!!!!!!!!!

Rydersmommy616

Asked by Rydersmommy616 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It keeps best when wrapped in freezer paper. If you are only doing small amounts for short times, put it as it comes packaged into Ziploc freezer bags and push all the air out. It will keep pretty well if you do it that way.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I divide it up because once you thaw it you aren't supposed to refreeze it. So I devide it up into what my usual recipes call for - 1-2 lbs each bag.

I prefer to take it out of the package and wrap in saran wrap to make sure there is no air (air = freezer burn) then put that in ziplock baggies
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Vacuum seal it. If you don't want to use a sealer, put it in a freezer bag, squish it into the bottom to make sure there's as little air as possible, then lower the bag into a sink full of water so the water comes up to the zipper. That pushes all the extra air out and is the next best thing to vacuum sealing.. Close the bag before you take it out of the water, and dry it off before you freeze it. Never freeze it the way it comes from the store unless you're going to use it within a few days - all that extra air inside is where freezer burn is born.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Just an idea.........Check the setting on your freezer and make sure it is cold enough. Might want to get a freezer thermometer and check it. Make sure it is a freezer thermometer.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I divide it up and put in in zip lock freezer bags. It works for me.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:51 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I just divide it all up and put it into freezer bags
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• This is what I do---I wrap the meat in wax paper, the paper sticks to the meat, then I wrap that in frezzer paper, and I freeze it for a long time with no bad taste or will effects, last week we found a venison roast from 2008 and it was great. After the meat is thawed, run you hand along all the meat to make sure no odd pieces of wax paper is left behind, because the wax paper will the wet and falling off the thawed meat, in otherwords it more than likely will not fall off in one piece.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 5:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I don't do anything special - I throw it in Ziploc freezer bags (usually a generic brand, actually) and throw it in. I rarely have freezer burn problems - and I keep & use meat for up to 2 years (we butcher a beef once a year, plus DH deer hunts to stretch the beef). One year I wrapped the deer meat in freezer paper and that was worse than bagging it. I NEVER use foil on food, unless I'm covering something temporarily, like a pan of food that will get popped out & slid into a bag. I've noticed some "brands" of foil do funny things when coming in contact with food - so maybe it's the fact that you're using foil.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 7:43 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• thank u ladies......... for all your suggestions.. i think my problem was the foil.... so im just going to stick to freezer bags... THANKS AGAIN
    Rydersmommy616

Comment by Rydersmommy616 (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2010