How can I learn to talk to my baby in English?

English is my second language. Eventhough I can talk well , I am not able to talk to my baby. I have never learnt such conversation. I have no idea about it. Can anyone help me in this please?
I decided to talk in English to my baby since the first day and let her or his father talk to her in Farsi (my mother tongue).

Irene80

Asked by Irene80 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would say something in your first language and then repeat it in English.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• huh?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• you don't have to talk to your baby LIKE she's a baby. If you know how to speak english well just talk to her in English like you would any other person.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:32 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Talk to your child like you would talk to an adult. Don't talk to your baby like she's incapable of understanding. You want her to know everything that she'll be saying when she's older. Therefore, you talk to her as if she already can say it back.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:41 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Thank you ALL for helping me, but let me to describe a bit more. Rcently I saw the ICE AGE cartoon. There, the tiger hides his face behind his palms and says: " where's the baby? " and suddenly answers something that I cannot remember. Can you now understand that what words and sentences I need? I think there is a nice dialogue between moms and babies and I intend to learn that. What mothers say to baby when trying to change diapers? and so on.
    Irene80

Comment by Irene80 (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• peak a boo!

that's what he said. but it's not a real word and not essential for english learning.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:44 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My main phrase when changing my son's diaper is... "please don't pee pee on mommy" = )
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:48 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• THANK YOU guys , please continueeee. I write down every sentence. I found another one: " Who is mommy's gorgeous boy? ". I am trying to show you what I need to learn. Please dont hesitate to tell me your sentences. For example in Iran we also hide our face behind our palms that baby can't see it and suddenly show up and say " dally " , this word is not a real word and I cannot find it in any dictionary. So I really need some native's help. Of course outstandingLove tought me that "dally" mean boo in English. Thank you outstandingLove.
    Irene80

Comment by Irene80 (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• You can play "naming" games with body parts, sing songs about them. I used to sing a song to my oldest about going in the car because he hated being buckled in his car seat. So I'd sing some nonsense about going in the car, car, car ... going for a ride, ride, ride ... then I'd go on with where we were going, who we might see, what we might do.

Can you join a mommy and me group or a play group with other moms with babies? Then you could see and hear first hand what little games/conversations moms here have with their babies.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I have no idea about the " naming " games with body parts but I'd love to know about it. Your nonsese song in such a nice that I want to get in the car too:)) . For sure I will join that group, thank you for your advice. It is less than 2 hours that I joined Cafemom and I getting help and advice more and more. I am happy. No one else can help me better than real moms who understand me.
    Irene80

Comment by Irene80 (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2010