Baby food questions????

My daughter is 22 weeks old and has been eating rice cereal for about a month now once a day. She sits with support perfect, grabs at everything we have, and acts like she wants our food that we eat. Please help I can't find appropriate info anywhere.
1st question: Should I be giving her rice cereal more than once a day??
2nd quest.: Should we start the diffeerent sort of cereals like oat??
3rdquest.: When can I start giving her puree baby food??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can start pureed green veggies at 6 months,followed by orange veggies,then fruits(no citrus or strawberries)

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• #1- you can, but ALWAYS offer solids AFTER nursing or formula. Solids should not replace any breastmilk or formula at this point.
    #2- Again, you can, but be sure to wait 5 days between any new foods to check for allergies
    #3- Per the AAP, all solids should be introduced after 6 months, including cereal. None of it is needed the entire 1st year. SInce you want to give solids, just do it one at a time and make sure she doesn't start taking in less breastmilk or formula.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:36 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• the order in which you give solids does not matter in the slightest. Most suggest starting with veggies so they don't develop a preferance for fruit, but as far as "green veggies, yellow veggies" etc it doesn't matter which you start with. Just go one at a time, wait 3-5 days (5 is better) and then add a new food. Color/variety doesn't matter.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:38 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Start her on pureed food and up the amount of meals to 2-3 times a day. She's definately interested. You can even start giving her solid foods like banana and cheerios.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:40 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Just an FYI, a baby grabbing at your food does NOT mean they are ready for solids. I bet your baby will grab at your cell phone but I wouldn't get her her own plan yet. And I bet they grab for candles, beer, etc. babies want everything!
    But others above gave some good tips. No foods til 6 months. Food never replaces breastmilk/formula. Rice cereal is useless. There is no certain order to start foods. Certainly not by color. There is no reason for that. You can even start with fruit first. 3 of my 4 kids were started on please. Guess what? they prefer sweet. Kids aren't dumb, they know sweets are good! lol
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• she hasn't developed the ability to digest solids especially. wait until at least 6 months. babies grab all sorts of things! look for the lost of tongue thrust, sitting UNassisted, tongue control, chewing mimicry, and the ability to bring food to the mouth. if you hav to puree food or bend over backward to counter constipation it is too soon. i suggest reading this baby led solids We NEVER did purees. We mealshare table food. starting with fork soft foods is fine, you shouldn't need to puree it. jar food and cereal are expensive, binding, bland or bad tasting with no benefit and poor substitutes for fiber and vitamin rich food. the iron in cereal is notoriously constipating.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2010