Do you speak to your young child like they are people or pets?

I can't stand it when another parent talks to my 4 and 5 year old like they are 6 months old. seriously. They don't need the high pitched tone or the over exaggerated enthusiasm.
I speak to my young children (ages 4 and 5) like they are little people. Because they are. I still speak to them at an age appropriate level. I don't go on talking to them about things they have no chance of comprehending. But they certainly don't need to be treated like a baby or a pet. And i've actually noticed that they don't like it when other people talk to them in that high pitched, over exaggerated tone.

Anyone else out there like me?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 2:42 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• I spek to them normally... They exhibit what is modeled to them.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:44 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Yeah,everybody has always done this to my son because he has autism. They figure he can't understand them,so talk in baby talk! GRRR! This pisses me off and makes my son upset. I'm constantly telling them to speak to him like you would to any other 9 yr old. I've always spoken to him appropriately.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• yeah. my dd looks at them like they are stupid. lol
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I hear ya! That patronizing "sing song" tone is really annoying!! LOL I think it stems from people who haven't had their own children, or it's been MANY years since they had/were around young children, and don;t know how to act! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• We speak normal. We never used baby words either.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I was the same way. In fact, whenever someone would do their "high squeal" voice to my kids, they'd look at me and say "what's wrong with him/her?" because we spoke to them normally. My son in particular hated it because he spent a lot of time with adults as a toddler (he was the first grandchild on both sides of the family) and he actually spoke more like an adult than a child to begin with.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My kids are 15 months and 3 years, and I don't even use baby talk. They won't learn unless you speak to them normally. Sometimes I'll even talk about things I know they don't understand, and I read the Harry Potter books to my 3 year old; it will still help with overall language comprehension, hearing the rhythm of speech and whatnot. And they pick up more than a lot of people (mostly people without kids) give them credit for.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• ^^^speak~ sorry
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

• I don't even talk to my pets like that. Shudder!
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:39 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• we use some cute words, but the tone and language is normal
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:06 AM on Aug. 2, 2010