Do you believe the WIC nutrionist?

I recently took my daughter who will be 3yrs old next month to my WIC appt and they told me she's on the borderline for being obessed. I was like "WTH are you kidding me, she only gained 3lbs since she came in last which was 3 months ago." She weighs 31lbs. now.Her dr never tells me nothing wrong with her weight.He said she's a lil tall for her age and her weight is good.She just saw her dr a month 1/2 ago.She's not chubby or bones.just right.

brokenheartmom

Asked by brokenheartmom at 2:47 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have never had wic. Just go by your ped said. My son 4 years and 3months. He weighs 38lbs and 45 inches tall.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• The WIC nutritionist I usually see is usually right on when it comes to her advice. I like her a lot.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:49 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Go by the growth curve charts. :) My daughter is the exact same age but a pound heavier. Very active, eats very healthy, she's perfect.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I think that the nutritionist at the WIC center only go off from what they are taught what they are known.. My daughter only gained 2 lbs and said that she is obessed.. If you guys would see my daughter, you guys would see that she is tall but petite...
    snuggz

Answer by snuggz at 2:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• The only thing I would ever take from the WIC office was the food vouchers. Everything else went in one ear and out the other.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I would trust your pedi and your instincts before trusting the WIC nutritionist, simply because your child's doctor & you are going to know your child best. The problem with going by those growth charts to figure BMI is that they don't take into consideration your bone structure or if you are taller or shorter than what you should be for your weight for your age, so if the WIC nutritionist is only blindly following the chart, it may not be right.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• The WIC office here we see different ones everytime you go in.I think my daughter weight is just fine for her being almost 3yrs old.How can she be on the boarder for obessed??The WIC went off what the computer said when she imputed.My daughter is so active.She don't munch all day and eat all kinds of sweets..None of my kids are chubby or getting there.I'm just goin by what their doctor says cuz he has not told me my kids weight is a problem.
    brokenheartmom

Comment by brokenheartmom (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Cant stand the wic office....they get on my nerves! They always tell me to watch my son and all, hes been off the charts for height and weight since he was five months old! At the last pedi visit his doc was just like you have a GIANT baaby! not obese or anything hes just HUGE he isnt even 2 and hes the height and weight of the average 3 year old! The wic office used to have me almost in tears like i was a bad mom, but my son eats really healthy!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• i'd thumb up dragon rider, but on my phone it's hard, don't wanna give her a thumbs down on accident. never believe the wic nurses. i had a doc appt the day be the wic appt once, they both took my iron, doc said i was fine, nurse said it was way too high...tends to work out that way all the time, my kids are fine at the doc, but not at wic. i got dd a doc and wic appt this week, wonder what it'll be this time lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I know the WIC office is redicallious.They always go by the computer.Well here they do.My daughters dad is 5'10-5'11 and I'm 5'2 so my daughter took after her dad side.The WIC office had the physical form frm her dr's and WIC were totally off on the height and weight.I hate goin there.
    brokenheartmom

Comment by brokenheartmom (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Jul. 31, 2010