how many words is you 18th month old saying???

Hello ladies! I was wondering out of curiosity,how many words is you 18th month old saying??? Reason why I ask is because Gigi says mom, dad,
Wowo meaning dog, wow, yeah, oh oh, naris meaning nose, up and go. She tends to scream or yell for everything and gets mad when I am telling her what the item is. Do you think she says lil bit of words for this age? My son who is 2, is going to speech therapy for speech delay. I'm wondering if she has that delay too...

snuggz

Asked by snuggz at 2:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine sadly says none. Just today though, we see she shakes her head no when she doesn't want something. She babbles still though so doc said not to worry TOO much until after 2.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• my daughter is now going to be 2 in september and she talks alot. there are certain words she still cant say but she learns something new everyday. She started saying words early but just recently within the last couple months has she really started to talk alot.
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• sounds like a delay to me,yeah.my son at 18 months only had 13 words and it turns out he had autism. Not saying your kid does!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• umm, let me see if i can list them...

up, down, cup, shoe, sock (he says ock though he has a bad underbite), bunny, light, eat, bye bye, mommy, daddy, lani (his sister), baby, hug, grandma (andma), walk, mooooo (he loves the cow noise)...and i think thats it!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My pedi asked me thursday if he was saying atleast seven, and if so he was fine!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• She's still young. The number of words a child says varies greatly. My baby girl is 19 months old and says cat, mommy, daddy, ball, cup, mo (cat's name is moby) as well as alex, tyler and ben (two of my boys' names and the name of my nephew), no (and she shakes her head yes). I think she says more than that, but those are the ones I can think of right now.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• "Normal" for 18 months is anywhere from 10-50 words. My first was on the low side of that and was saying maybe 10-15 words; my second is 15 months and is saying about the same.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Add bye bye, mine and baby to that list too. lol At least 13 words. I have a boy with Autism. The way his presented was he learned at least 3 words before turning a year old. By 14 months, he lost all communication and it took him til he was at least 2 before he gained any back. My visually impaired son was not delayed on saying words, but he still lacks communication at the age of 5. This link says your child should be able to say 15 to 20 words at 18 months.
    http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/baby-development-month-16to18.htm
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Every baby is different so don't worry yet. But she us saying some words that's great! My dd is 20 mths was born a preemie at 35 wks and I thought she would be behind for alongtime but at 6 mths she caught up to everything already and is hitting every milestone normally. Her first word was mama at 8 mths and from then it has definitely increased. Let's see she can say: agua (water), mama, dada, puppie, bachan & jichan ( Japanese for grandma and grandpa), toes, shows, nose, A, B, C ( that's the extent of alphabet lol), no, yea, please, thank you, bubbles, food, soap, what's this? , Who's this?,That, night night ( for bed time), bear and the list goes on.

My dd is biracial so she is learning Japanese & Spanish as well as English so I think it's always a good sign that as long as they understand you well at this point even if they aren't saying as much it's ok.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 3:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• well my daughter is going be 17 months and she does say that much she does say two words in spanish very clearly and she understands alot more then she says. but everyday she picks up a new word. i think as long as they are understanding its fine. i am not in a rush for her talk considering talking comes the talking back. lol.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 5:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2010