MY 7 YR OLD DAUGHTER

SHE IS A MOMMY'S GIRL, SHE DOES EVERYTHING THAT I DO, SHE LOVES TO CLEAN. HOW CAN I GET HER TO BE HER OWN PERSON.

mmm10578

Asked by mmm10578 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try asking her what she's interested in and then getting her the materials to pursue it. Maybe if she has her own interests that are more exciting she will spend more time doing it.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 3:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• She has to experience things to be able to grow into being her own person. If her experiences are limited to housecleaning then that's what her interest is in. Take her to the park and to museums and to hospitals and on excursions. Send her to daycamp or any summer classes they offer for kids her age. She'll find her way to be her own person in time.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• There really is no rush, but expose her to all different kinds of things. Take her to the library.......she can get her own library card and get books on many subjects. Maybe some project or craft books. Are there any museums in the area? Go and visit and maybe they have children's classes. She is modeling you right now and that is very normal. She will be interested in all sorts of things as she gets older.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• She'll get there, in her own time. Right now, she's learning from you and that's ok. She'll develop other interests, no need for concern.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Is she an only child? I don't see anything wrong in her wanting to be with mommy, and all. If you do need quiet time, sit on the couch with her, so each of you can quietly read or draw, but not talk...Or you can do quiet time in your rooms...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm sorry but I don't see a problem with this! I would rather have your 7 year old want to be like her Mommy than strive to be like actresses, singers, even her friends. By her spending time with you, she is learning how to take care of her home, etc. ~ there is NOTHING wrong with that. I think she IS being her own person! =)
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 4:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• She's not the only child, She is my youngest, I love spending time with her, She's my little momma. she likes to try and take my place when it comes to disaplening my other 2 kids. That's when it gets to be a problem, She doesn't understand that she can't do that.
    mmm10578

Comment by mmm10578 (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• She sounds like a delightful child ~ she really does! I can understand what you are saying about her trying to take your place in the disciplining of the other 2 kids (my oldest, almost 12, does the same thing sometimes with his 6 siblings). The few times he does try it, I tell him to 'back off my toes' and he understands and obeys!! I would just be firm with her and let her know that it is your job as Mommy and that if she continues doing it there will be a consequence to her behavior, because she has chosen to disobey. Good luck!
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 6:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010