I saw a question that really aggrivated me... I know its long but please read and tell me your thoughts...

A woman blew out of proportion and mom playing in the pool with her son. Its people like that, that has made my husband uncomfortable to have interaction with his daughter!!! Because of what others think my husband wont hug her or kiss her or hold her hand. I have tried to tell him that its ok to show his daughter love and affection but because some people cant keep their dirty minds out of the gutter he wont. I think the way he acts to her is cold hearted. (i.e. If she tries to hug him he only pats her shoulder with his hand, he wouldnt hug her like I would.) She is 10. YOUR THOUGHTS????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• i agree. people do need to keep their heads out of the gutter and not think the worst. just because a parent is showing love or playing with their child does not mean that something is wrong with their relationship.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• That's so sad! But that's what the world has come to. Everyone has to be so careful.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 3:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Well..... He is ABLE to show love and affection, he does at home he doesn't in public b/c of what others may think. He is absolutely wonderful loving father its just the way he acts in public b/c of todays society. He's trying not to look like a perv when in turn he looks too distanced from her.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• men get uncomfortable around girls when they start to look like young ladies. I think its a natural reaction. So many people see daddies hold their daughters and think dirty thoughts,so guys play it safe and back off some. Guys really care about how people view them. Its like when guys go to the movies and they'll sit with a seat open between them lest someone think they are gay! Silly,I know.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• It would be nice if your DH could be more affectionate towards her, but she probably does sense that he loves her and she is learning that people show their emotions in different ways. It doesn't mean they don't love you. My DH had to be "shown" how to cuddle our kids. His family was not very demonstrative. It didn't take him long. What about picking up some books on fathers and daughters? There are some really sweet ones out there. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• That too bad that your husband is allowing others to keep him from offering his daughter his love and affection and in turn not receiving it from her. People should mind their own business and not worry so much about others.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• . Our daughter is 20 months and right now this isn't an issue; my husband's as affectionate as any other good daddy. :) I hope it doesn't changs as she gets older, b/c I know a lot of guys who are like this, sadly. :(
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Oh, well, I don't think you have much to worry about then. The books are still a sweet thing to give him ;)
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• we have 3 girls (4,3,and1) My hubby treats them like I do! He needs to relax! Help him understand, GL!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• That is soooo sad...I feel for your daughter. My dad stopped showing me affection once he found out his own dad had molested me...I've never really understood why that is a good enough excuse not to show your daughter you love her. You can love your kids without being a perv..and that is something a parent should be obligated to do.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 5:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2010