Is there anyway to get my 2 year old to stop repeating things?

It drives me insane! Usually respond the first five billion times and then I try to ignore him. But that makes him mad.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 3:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My seven year old autistic does this sort of verbal stimming all day every day. There's only so much I can take of Dora the Explorer. my speech therapist says to just ignore it and don't respond to it. It will get worse before it gets better.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Not really.

That's how they learn.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Not that I know of. My 3 year old can go on for a very long time.....him: "mommy, I want cheetos for breakfast", me: "no you can't have cheetos for breakfast. How about cereal", him: "I want cheetos", me: "no how about eggs?", him "I want cheetos" x's about a bazillion.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• AAAAAHHHH! lol I know what you mean. If I don't respond right away, they repeat until I do. If I do respond, sometimes I still have to deal with it. I guess try to redirect him. I ask my kids to go draw me a pretty picture and that usually gets them quiet. :)
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• LMAO!!!! If you find out please let me know!!!! My 3 yr old still does this!!! Sometimes I just want a thought of my own in my head!!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 3:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My 4 year old does that. That is how they learn!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• lol please let me know if you figure out a way my 4 yo does that. its like stewie on family guy here and she will repeat the same thing until i finally respond to her. oh and trying to stop her from asking to go to the bathroom i keep telling her if she needs to go just go.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• The best trick I've found so far (and it only works sometimes) is to stop, and ask my girl back "what did mommy say?" It gets her to stop and think about what my answer was to her repetitive question.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 3:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• 2autisticsmom, my 9 year old autistic son has been on the Transformers kick for a few years now. I wake up in the morning and listen to talk about Transformers and robots for a few hours before he settles down into doing something else. I do the same and just ignore it after a while.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• So glad I'm not alone. LOL I would take Transformers over Dora any day.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2010