I have a cat that hisses at my 6 month old daughter. My cat has been doing this since she was 3 months old... Is this normal?? What do I do?? Should I be worried?

Lakemom22

Asked by Lakemom22 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Pets

• i would say get rid of the cat. i have not known any cats to attack but better safe then sorry. if the cat is hissing at the baby it is probably a warning and the cat probably feels like the baby is invading its space or taking the sttention.
    acampbell31207

Answer by acampbell31207 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I'd get rid of the cat.....seems mad at the baby.
    Chris127

Answer by Chris127 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I had a cat prior to having children..she was my first baby. I was so afraid that this would happen. Sadly she passed away a few weeks before I gave birth, but I did read up on what to do if your feline baby is jealous of a newborn. The book that I read advised to sit with both on your lap and give them equal attention. Of course paying close attention that the kitty plays nice. They also said to wrap the cat in a blanket with the babies scent on it to allow the cat an opportunity to become accustomed to this new "being" in the home. I loved my little cat, and would have been crushed if I had to get rid of her. Please try these things first. You may also want to check out the library on any books for advice. Good Luck!!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 9:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I agree with MommasCooCoo. I just couldnt toss my cat because it hisses at my child.The cat hasnt attacked the child.You have to give a cat time when new people come along.I agree with the above suggestions.You can also get some "FeliWay" which helps a cat feel calm.check with your vet about it.
    SherriX2

Answer by SherriX2 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I would do some research to see why cats do that and how to make the cat more comfortable around the baby. The cat is your family....you can't just get rid of it without trying to figure out how you can correct the behavior. In the meatime, try to keep the cat away from the baby.  Good luck!!!!
    kathyjul

Answer by kathyjul at 9:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I would do some research to see why cats do that and how to make the cat more comfortable around the baby. The cat is your family....you can't just getrid of it without trying to figure out how you can correct the behavior.  In the meantime, try to keep the cat a safe distance from the baby.  Good Luck!!
    kathyjul

Answer by kathyjul at 9:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I would not just get rid of the cat! I have had cats all my life and I have one now that is a real B**ch. You know what cured her almost 100%?? getting her spayed. Is your cat spayed?
    cacnotcam

Answer by cacnotcam at 2:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• yes be very worried!!!! I adopted a cat that did that...I decided he just need extra loving....wrong!!! He turned on me...looked like a CSI scene...I am so glad it wasn't my kids....the cat was unfortunately destroyed....but I think if I had found the cat a new home without children and without other pets, he would have been okay...
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 9:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Lakemom,
    We have a cat that we brought in when my dd was about 2. He didn't like her from day one. He still hisses or cowers when she is nearby him but has never struck out at her.
    I liked Coocoos idea too!
    New2WAHJ

Answer by New2WAHJ at 11:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Hey! Thanks Guys... I LOVE My cat to death, and I want to keep her.. but I will NOT tolerate the fact that she MIGHT harm her. I will try the wrapping her up in one of her blankets, and try to hold her as well with the baby.... I DO need to get her spaded. She gets into heat and I think that is around the time that she gets that way. Thanks for the help ladies!
    Lakemom22

Answer by Lakemom22 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2008