my three year old doesnt speak very well. i am very concerned. what should i do?

she was thirteen weeks premature. she does talk, but she resorts to baby talk more often than i think she should.

rosmith

Asked by rosmith at 12:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At three, most premies have caught up to their non-premature peers, so it's probably time to have your child evaluated.
    My son had bad ear infections, and ended up having tubes put in at 18 mos. His speech blossomed at about 21 mos., but he still has issues with certain consonant sounds, and may need speech therapy.
    If she is talking, but "chooses" to use baby talk, then it may be that she gets more attention that way. If she is unable to communicate, and uses baby talk, then I would recommend talking to your pediatrician sooner than later.
    Best of luck!
    DeylansMama

Answer by DeylansMama at 12:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• My nephew was the same way. Try having her ears checked. She may need to have tubes put in for a short time. That often helps with speach problems.
    peachtree1124

Answer by peachtree1124 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Take her for an evaluation from a speech therapist to determine the cause for the delay ...if there is a delay...and what to do about it. Call the local school and ask for a good referral. good luck
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 12:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2008