What do you think of the name Peighton?

I love the name Leighton, but my husband loves the name Peyton (you know like the Manning). Does the different spelling make the name idiotic?

Misteh

Asked by Misteh at 4:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Baby Names

• I like the name but I don't like "phonetically" spelled names...your child will FOREVER have to spell it for people, and it will constantly be spoken and spelled incorrectly.

I have a common name for when I grew up...."Lori" and I can't even BEGIN to tell you how many different spellings have been assumed--Laurie, Lauri, Lorrie, Lorie, Lorry, Loree, even received some mail with my name spelled "LARRY!!" Funny thing is I say my name emphasizing the "OR" LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Yes, the different spelling makes the name idiotic. However, both Peyton and Payton are great and correct ways to spell that name.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:06 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I like it - you rarely see it spelled that way, but it is pretty.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• It's a great name when it's spelled correctly - but yes, just like you're asking, the incorrect spelling is awful. And why set a kid up to have to deal with that for the rest of his life?
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 4:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I like the name but not how you spall it.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• *spell
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• It's a great-sounding name, but think of all the times your child will be represented on paper: birth certificate, school records, medical records, job applications, marriage license, professional licenses perhaps, and the list goes on and on.

It's much better spelled Payton or Peyton. That way, it's a great-sounding and a great-looking name.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 4:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I like it. It's original
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I think Peyton is a better way to spell it. I really like the name Payson too.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 4:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I like the name....but I think it would be better spelled Payton or Peyton.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 4:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2010