Can a binky make a childs 2nd teeth come in crooked if he only uses it while his first teeth are coming in? My son is 19 months and I was noticing his front teeth are not straight. (I know I need to take it away its just going to be a chore that is not fun)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I really don't have an answer for you. But just something for you to think about. My 5 yr old never ever had a binky or sucked fingers/thumb. His baby teeth were beautiful. He has lost 2 teeth and the adult teeth are the poster teeth for braces. Both DH and I had braces, so that might have something to do with it, so you can never be too careful.

As for the binky. Start by letting him have it only at bedtime. Distract him by cuddles and a story, or doing something fun, finger painting, running in the sprinklers. Then maybe have him leave the bedtime one for the binky fairy and let him help a baby somewhere whose parents need to give him one. Or something like it.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:06 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Yes my moms teeth were horrible b/c she had a paci till she was 3... she never gave me one
    I usually take the paci from my kids when they start crawling
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 4:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• The key is noting the length of time the binky is uses. Typically once a child reaches 18 - 24 months there is no need for a "pacifier." By this stage is when we are supposed to be able to more quickly understand what our child's needs are and why they are needing to be pacified in the first place. When you are able understand what your child is trying to communicate to you, it makes pacifying them much easier and without the need of the almighty binky! :o)
    MzZiXiu4U

Answer by MzZiXiu4U at 4:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I don't think with all the studies that have gone into making pacifiers that they cause teeth to come in crooked. The problem with kids using them to long has been linked to speech delay and other speech problems.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• OP here: im not worried about his speach. He talks really well. I just don't want his teeth to come in crooked because I haven't taken it away.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• OP here: Lol yeah I know what you mean MzZiXiu4U. Its just frusterating when I take it away and he SCREAM "inky inky inky inky" for an hour! Haha I guess I should just let him scream :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Jul. 31, 2010