How long after you have a kid is it "acceptable" to have weight problems from it?

Do you think there is a time limit on using the excuse of having a child for being overwight is ok? If so, what do you think the time limit is? Do you or have you used that excuse? How old is your kid(s)?

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 4:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I give myself a year, my son is almost 9 mos, so I have 3 mos to go.

I think 2 years is a reasonable time frame to lose weight, some women are busy, have more stress, are single moms, etc so It might not be a priority at all
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• They say it takes you 9 months to gain, give yourself at least that long to lose it!!! I lose it quickly my problem is maintaining!!! I dont like to see a woman with a 5 year old blaming her weight on the kids! lol...no seriously chasing the kids around should help theyre are not to blame!!! Everyone is different though for the women who gained a lot of weight it will take them longer! no need to break yourself trying to lose 70 lbs. But for those who only gained 15-20 it may be possible to lose it in that 9 month window!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• If you are carrying excess weight for years after a child and still blaming it on having children I think that is denial right there...and you are just making excuses for yourself. Of course that doesn't hurt anyone but you...which is upsetting really because it is wonderful to be healthy.

I have never used that excuse. My weight came off fairly quickly after pregnancy. I was always active throughout pregnancy and continued to be as soon as my son was born. I ate pretty well too and have always erred on healthy eating and not been inclined towards junk food.

My son is 2 and a half now. We go out every day for walks or bike rides.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Remember that losing weight is a lifestyle change just like having a baby was a lifestyle change. You had to prepare mentally and physically for motherhood. Now the hurdle is establishing what weight loss means to you. Maybe that is the reason you have not taken steps to do anything about it yet.

For every woman that answer is going to be different. Depends on what your life goals are. Where you want to be what you want to do. My threshold was when I stopped breastfeeding I started working out. If you are a member of the Healthy Weight Loss group I just posted a blog length comment on my weight story. My great niece is nine months old and my niece emailed me to tell me she was ready to start my program with me because she stopped breastfeeding. Most of my friends and family members did the same or the two year mark.
    MzZiXiu4U

Answer by MzZiXiu4U at 4:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• pregnant belly9 months to gain it so 9 months to lose it. After nine months I stopped blaming my belly on the baby :) I was back to normal about a year after I had him.

Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I say how long you were pregnant. I have 24 weeks left til my baby is 41 weeks old (that's how far I was when I had her) so I'm giving myself that long to lose some weight. I thin kwe have to accept that our bodies are going to be different after having kids though and stop being so hard on ourselves.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 4:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I say a year at most, I can understand stress and being overworked not letting you lose weight but you have to commit to losing it if you really want to.
    Maheli

Answer by Maheli at 4:37 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I think it depends on how much weight you gained. I would say 6 months. I lost easily within a few weeks after my first two pregnancies because I was careful what I ate,but with my third,I overate because we were living in Germany (we were at a USAF base in Germany when I was pregnant with my third baby) and the food is sooooo good and soooo fattening. SO, it took 6 months.I was about 20 pounds over my normal weight. I really didn't use pregnancy as an excuse and I didn't like being overweight at all. I felt so much better after I was back at my normal weight.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• i think that if you havent started loosing the weight by a year or alittle after, then you need to start moving your lazy ass off the couch.
    my son is 14 months and i have 5-10 pounds left to loose. i gained 60 while pregnant.
    when i would complain about my weight, no matter how long after i had my son, someone would say "you just had a baby, its okay" and that worked at first but after a while i was like, no i didnt just have a baby - hes 10 months old.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010