What kinds of jobs are there working with animals?

I've always wanted to do something with animals as a living. I can't be a vet, it would be too hard for me. But what other things could one do who wants to work with animals?

.Angelica.

Asked by .Angelica. at 4:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Pets

• be an assistant at a vets, animal hospital, work at a zoo, riding stables, aquarium. any place there are animals.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• zoo, you could work at a vet clinic (just take animal weights and make appointments), I think that working at an animal shelter might be too hard too. Perhaps a no-kill shelter would help too. You could train dogs for the disabled or blind. You could run an obidience school too.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 4:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• You coudl work at a Shelter, Humane Society, an animal refuge or animal rescue place
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 4:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I already do foster care with a rescue. But that is volunteer. And most vets are hiring people who do more than just weights and appointments. :( I've looked into the guide dogs training but that is just volunteer as well.
    .Angelica.

Comment by .Angelica. (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I can't do vet stuff. being around sick/injured animals is way too hard for me. And I can't give shots. I tried, didn't work out too well. lol.
    .Angelica.

Comment by .Angelica. (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I guess dog walking or taking care of animals but sick and injured is a huge part of taking care of animals.
    Maheli

Answer by Maheli at 4:34 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I have done pretty much all pet related jobs. You can work in a petstore, groomers shop, a dog walker, pet sitter, groom at a stable (caring for the horses). The rest of the jobs I have done are hurt/sick animals-horse hospital, vets, wild animal rehab.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:44 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• you can work at a petstore or like a rescue league like humane society place a animal shelter
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Well it depends on what you want to make.... And how much physically you can handle.

I have a degree in Zoology and was a Zookeeper. Well $12/hr living in the shadow of chicago DOES NOT pay the bills. It is also a very hard field to get into. Many of my keeper friends have been laid off the last few years, The economy sucks.

Pet retail also doesn't pay crap. Made $10 and hour as MANAGEMENT for a large retail chain. The employees below me made even less.

Vet techs have to have a degree here and have to do continuing education. They also are NOT paid well. Vet assistants are paid less and do the clean up work.

I am a dog groomer. I make very good money. Certain times of the year are better than others. I have been a groomer for more than a decade now. BUT you have to be willing to get bit, scratched, bruised, pooped on, and be itchy a lot. I blow my nose and there is dog hair in my discharge
    Momma2Warriors

Answer by Momma2Warriors at 2:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Why not a dog walker?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2010