My hubby just quit his job!

Can't breathe throat closing! My hubby just came home from work & told me that he told his boss he'll be turning in his 2 week resignation on Monday! WTF!? I had NO idea this was coming! I knew he was unhappy w/ his job & have been encouraging him for over a year to find something else if he was so miserable. Everytime I've brought it up (I hate his job & his boss & wished he would quit for a looooonnnnng time now, just didn't think he'd up & do it w/out @ least discussing it w/ me 1st!) he's told me that all the other agencies out there are paying 1/2 of what he's currently making, which is true. I don't know what to do, I don't know what to say, so far I've been nothing but supportive, am hoping he'll calm down and @ least start discussing this rationally. He insists that he's gonna work out twice a day & stay home w/ our dd. He told me he has no intention of looking for another job & its now up to me cont

Nyx7

Asked by Nyx7 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• You poor thing! He does know that neither of you can collect unemployement compensation?

I do career and job search coaching; send me a message offlist if I can assist you with your job search (I never charge CafeMoms for my services)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:02 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• It is what it is. Might as well try to calm down so that you can think more clearly. Wow, what a really immature way for him to handle this, especially in today's economy. How totally irresponsible to leave a job without another lined up and no means to take care of one's family. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:46 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• He might now like being a SAHD. If you have seriously been considering going back to work, then switching roles might be fun! I wouldn't make any decisions until you both have calmed down a little though. Maybe just not talk about it until tomorrow or Monday........
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 4:48 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I'm sure he thinks he did talk to you. You yourself say that you've talked about this many times. You knew he was unhappy. You encouraged him to find something else. He probably thinks that the two of you did discuss this.

I think he handled it very poorly, but I absolutely do not understand how you say that you didn't see this coming.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 6:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I'm sorry, I don't have advice. :-( Just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this and I hope you make it through alright. I really hope some of the other ladies can offer you more. :-) Here's a hug across the computer wires....

hugs

Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Wow is all I can say I don't know what to tell you either. I work outside the home but if dh came home and told me that I would be flippin mad.I'm pretty sure I'd be telling oh yeah you are getting a job and sooner then later cuz I'm not doing this. I'd be like we are moving into the smallest afforable apartment we can and go from there I know you said that you just had your motgage modified but I wouldn't be carrying the load by myslef I'd probably be out the door if that was me dd in tow.
    Good Luck and BREATHE!!!!
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Well it's the weekend so you can look for jobs when the week starts, in the mean time think "Progression"
    what to do to progress from here?

Maybe you can:
    get your resume together tomorrow
    Take tonight as a calm relaxing night where you just think of the future, sometimes it's needed to make rational decisions
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Do you have a savings you can live off of until you find a job?
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• all i can say i hope everything works out for you & your family & good luck
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Oh boy! I'm sorry to hear that you're having to go through that kind of stress. We would never make those kind of decisions without a lot of planning and conversations. That would be very difficult for me to handle. I hope everything works out!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2010