Would you consider this disrespectful?

My husband son and I went to church this morning and our son started to cry so we took him into the "mother's room" to let him play quietly with some toys because he is only two. After a few minutes of being in there this other Mom came in with her kid that was maybe 7 or 8 and she gave the kid a gameboy and let her play it when all the other Mom's and I were trying to listen to the sermon! It was so annoying to try and sing and listen to the message when the sounds of some stupid Supor Mario game! It's not like a nursery type room it has pews and one changing table. Its really meant for training your children to sit quitely during the sermon.It even has a sign asking parents to be respectful of others. IMO a 7 year old is old enough to sit in the main sanctuary and be respectful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• not only would i find it disrespectful to the others gathered, i find it annoying and idiotic of the parent to allow it. a church service (or any service/outing that begs respect for others and mannerly behavior..funerals, weddings, classrooms, beauty shop, clothing stores, etc) is not something people attend in order to hear 'old enough' children play noisy games. lets see..7ish would be maybe 2nd grade, right? don't you think the child has been taught (maybe at school) that he isn't the only one in the room? apparently, not by his mother.
    i totally would've said something to the mother, like, ''don't you think he could turn off the sound, so the rest of us can hear the music?'' i would've wanted to say more, but that would be my 'tactful' response.
    furthermore, if he can sit still & play a video game (who hasn't watched a kid w/a game who didn't move or respond to anything else?), he can sit still in the service, too.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Yes i would consider that disrespectful. And i probably would have asked the little boy to turn off the volume.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I agree. I don't even go to church, but at 7, she is way past the age to understand "this is a quiet place, behave!"
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I agree with you. Not appropriate to have a game for a child in church and definitely not one that makes noise. I would say something if it happens again.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I would not allow a game..coloring book or reading book yes...but, a game...no...and that child needs to learn now how to sit quietly for an hour...Listen, we just got back from my MIL's funeral...We explained everything to our son...how to act, what to expect, it's ok to cry...etc....I see no reason why this was allowed unless the child had some disability that you are not aware of...like a very, very short attention span....
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 5:02 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Yes, I would. She could have had him turn the volume down.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 4:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• At that age they should be able to sit quietly.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I don't know... I can see this both ways.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 5:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• i think its disrespectful that you are "training" your children to sit and be quiet like they are dogs or something.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I don't like those things as it is because I've seen how my brother turned out having one of those shoved in his hands every second of the day. But yes I think it is very desrespectful. If she's going to do that she needs to make sure he has headphones. But he's old enough to sit there through a sermon. My little one loves sermons because of all the music but we let her go off to sunday school with other kids her age after hanging out with us for a bit.
    GraceZsMom

Answer by GraceZsMom at 5:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2010