Convience or Health?

Do you cook from a box or do you make things from Scratch? I've been struggling with this lately because while I would like to cook more from scratch, it is so much more convienient to cook things from a box/bag/can.

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 5:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If you learn to meal plan, budget and use your time wisely you can cook from scratch conveniently. Years ago we cooked semi-homemade like Sandra Lee is popular for. Now I cook from scratch with the freshest ingredients I can get. Our tastes have changed since I have changed my cooking and we can almost always taste artificial flavors and ingredients if we eat somewhere else.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 3:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• We cook almost entirely from scratch besides little snacks for the kids and some unhealthy snacks hubby wants(that I make him hide)) We make all our own baked good and bday cakes, most of the bread,rolls and pizza crusts. I do alot or batch cooking and freezing so theres always something available, we also make our own things like french fries and sauces.Its a health thing for us.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I cook most things from scratch when possible, I find it is just as convenient and more healthy. I cook from box mixes/bags/cans as needed, mostly for cost reasons.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• BOTH...i dont have time to cook from scratch really, so i guess i do lean on boxes/bags more so than not!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:33 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• From scratch, for health and convenience, not to mention it saves me money. I don't find it convenient to have to run to the store for a few boxes for a meal when I can have all the ingredients in my home and cook a better tasting, healthier meal from scratch. I do use canned soups in many of my recipes, but it's rare to find any manufacturer-made meals in my house. I've got close to 75 meal ideas that I can make from scratch, anything from homemade chicken strips (kids love these) to wet burritos to taco salad to chicken alfredo (no jarred sauce here) to pizza (homemade crust & sauce) to oven fried chicken to beef stroganoff.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Mostly scratch, for health reasons. So many boxed things are high in sodium, preservatives, etc, and I can't have much sodium. I love cooking anyway, so it's not a big deal.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 7:34 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Scratch can be convenient, with a little bit of planning. A bag of frozen, chopped vegetables can be a stirfry in twenty minutes.

I have a ton of recipes that are easy, healthy, tasty, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• What kind of things do you make from scratch?
    hsmominky

Comment by hsmominky (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• from scratch....meatloaf, pasta with many different types of sauces, baked chicken, eggs, roast pork, sloppy joes,
    Anonymous

• I am starting to cook from scratch
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2010