starting puree food...

If I start my daughter on green beans tonight for her first time how/when should I give it to her. Should I mix the green beans with her rice cereal?? She only gets rice cereal once a day, so should I be giving rice cereal once and also green beans once a day as well?? I'm just not sure how because I know I'm still supposed to be giving her as much breastmilk as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well I wouldn't start with green beans but to each her own I suppose... When I started purees I Just gave it to them plain, they took to it better and gave rice ceral once and food once a day
    twinmama2009

Answer by twinmama2009 at 6:09 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• What puree food puree food did you start with?
    Lori43bg

Answer by Lori43bg at 6:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I gave Rice cereal in the morning and then breast feed the rest of the day and at night fed the purees, Start out with only 1 at a time so you can find out if ur child is allergic to it or not and after a couple of day introduce some thing else, just don't start out wit desserts, My youngest was a vegatrian when she was a baby until she was about 2, she loved mashed potaotes and gravy.
    mmm10578

Answer by mmm10578 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• If you baby is 6 months you never have to give purees. baby led solids i never gave my baby solids or ourees. we started at 7 1/2 months and she eats anything from asparagus, to kiwi, to guacamole to whole peas, halved blueberries etc. she's 10 months old now. we started with naturally soft foods like pear, avocado, sweet potato, butternut squash. never pureed though. we don't fuss here. we mealshare table food.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:48 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• rice cereal tastes awful. and to mix green beans with it....would you eat it?! ewww. LOL if you want to give her green beans just give her them cooked soft and let her self feed. You don't have to wait a long time between foods unless there is a history of allergies in your family. Meal time should be fun! Not fussy or stressful :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I agree wtih amileegirl, although I would still wait about 3-5 days between new foods. We have zero history of food allergies and yet DS is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, rice, corn, chicken, beef, and strawberries. Just a thought.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:39 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Always breastfeed first. Rice cereal is pointless and really lacks nutritional value. You can go ahead with green beans (though I agree, no solids should be given until at LEAST 6 months). My daughter hated purees. We started her on finger foods for her first foods at 7 months, 1 week. She went straight to table foods. She loved black beans. At first I would smoosh them between my fingers.
    We have no history of food allergies but my 3 yr old has a bunch of them. It may be wise to wait a couple of days between foods.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 7:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2010