• In the Spotlight:

Breastfeeding and wine cooler

Hello my son is 9 months old and I w ould like a wine cooler. I have done some research it shows I can have a few drinks. The wine cooler is 3% alcohol. Has anyone had any drinks while breastfeeding? Did it affect anyone in anyway??

Prican91181

Asked by Prican91181 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes I have. I haven't had more than two drinks and I typically drink them shortly after nursing so that it is a little while before she nurses again.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• The rule is sober enough to drive, sober enough to nurse.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 7:34 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I rarely drink but when i do I make sure I won't be nursing again for at least 2 hours per drink.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• You want one? Go ahead and have one. Personally, any more then two, you should not nurse for 2-3 hrs per drink.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I work 1 night a week at a brewery and have 1 pint of beer after work. I go right home and nurse, no big deal to me.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:10 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I will have a glass or 2 of wine after his final feeding at night. I know that it will be about 8 hours until his next feeding and it will be out of my system by then. If you do question it there are strips you can by (I got mine at Target) that test your breastmilk for traces of alcohol. It does work and it may make you feel better about enjoying yourself while not exposing your baby.
    bbchic

Answer by bbchic at 9:39 PM on Aug. 1, 2010