For how long does my baby stay immune after I stop breastfeeding?

I have been breastfeeding & formula feeding my baby since she was born and she in now 2 & a half months old (10 weeks). She has not gotten sick at all yet and has had no problems. I have been weaning her off breastfeeding cuz I'm going back to work & will not be able to due to my hectic work schedule. I am now breastfeeding once a day & just caught a nasty cold (now taking Claratin so I cannot breastfeed her until I'm done). How long will she stay immune for because I'm very scared of her getting sick even though she got her first shots?

PeruvianMami954

Asked by PeruvianMami954 at 7:06 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastfeeding doesn't make her immune. Just try not to breathe on her and wash your hands a lot.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 7:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Breastfeeding does not make babies immune to any illness. It does give them stronger immune systems. Their is no time limit on that either. It builds their immune system up. The longer you breastfeed the more benefit they continue to get however any amount of breastmilk is a gift. Also, you don't take claritin for a cold you take it for allergies. but you CAN breastfeed on claritin.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 7:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2010