In kindergarten, does any body know these things?

First what is usually the supplies just to get a rough idea of about how much I need to spend?
Second I can't remember please tell me they don't let them walk to the bathrooms alone?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• IF they require you to have any certain supplies you should be able to get a list from the school or they will give you one on the first day. Generally most Kindergartens have "bathroom time" where the entire class goes, but if your child has to go in the middle of something I'm sure they aren't going to leave the entire class to walk him there, more than likely they will step out in to the hall and watch him walk there...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• All the kindergarten classrooms I've seen have a bathroom in the classroom.
    willswifey

Answer by willswifey at 7:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Most rooms have a bathroom in it but if not most go as a class at a certain time.

As for supplies, it really depends on the teacher and what they require. I would start with a backpack and some pencils and crayons and then wait to get a list from the teacher, that usually comes home within the first week of school.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• The school should have issued a supply list. Some stores keep copies by the supplies so you might look there. Crayons, blunt tipped scissors, folders, pencils, glue stick, elmer's glue, markers, notebooks/composition notebooks,wipes, dry erase makers, ziploc bags. Kindergarten kids often have trouble finding the bathrooms and are easily distracted coming back to class. so it's usually the buddy system or scheduled potty breaks.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• The schools will provide a list of supplies, it really will depend on what you want to spend. For example, you might choose a $5 backpack or a $50 dollar backpack. I think I probably spent around $40 for everything last year when my daughter started kindergarten. And yes, the children went to the bathroom alone. In Julita's school, there was one bathroom for the K, 1, and 2 grades and another for the 3, 4, and 5.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Our class rooms (Kindergarten and Pre-K) have bathrooms close, and they all go together, or with a teacher! And the supplies are ruler, crayons, markers, large eraser, kleenex, hand sanitizer, Primary notebook (Mead) pencils, pencil box, change of clothes, floder, bookbag (no wheels), roll of paper towels, and wet wipes (no alcohol kind). Plus any other specifics the teacher asks for. I also recommend a kids thermos for hot days, and gym! We are a military school (Army) . As in my hubby is Army, so things may be a little different! Good luck!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Our kindy rooms have a restroom, I'm sure that varies by school. Our supply list went something like this: Backpack, pencil box, crayons, pencils, scissors, glue and glue sticks. Lists will also vary, some schools have you buy things like tissue, sanitizer, etc. on top of your usual supplies. You should be able to find a list where you do your supply shopping. Walmart for certain, I know our other local stores also have them on hand.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• If the school doesn't have the premade boxes I would wait to get a list from the school. I have heard that the lists the stores have are not always the right list.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 7:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My DD just finished kindergarten this year. Our K classes do not have bathroom in it but they do a scheduled daily class trip to the bathroom. Obviously lists vary by school. But I have our K list (as they have all grades K-4 on 1 paper) the ask for: dry erase markers, spiral notebook, #2 pencils, crayons, gluesticks, glue, markers, tissues, art shirt (large shirt that will cover their clothes in art class), watercolor pain set, book bag. ziploc baggies
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 7:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Until you find out what you need from your child's teacher, don't buy anything. Older teachers are far less demanding than newer ones, because older teachers have years worth of extra things stocked up. Until you know what class they're in, even the list from the school is unreliable.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2010