Hello, my question is, Do you feel as a parent that you're doing all you can to protect the innocense of your child

They say being a Parent is the hardest and most important job we'll ever have. Do you feel that your doing absolutely everything you can to protect the innocense of your children; ie, screening what they seen or hear on TV and on the internet? Screening or safe guarding the use of all computerized games, etc? Watching programs that are age appropriate with your kids? Not always panning them off on others, spending more quality time with them, so that they know your values and are not spending so much time away from you that they are developing other people's values as their own? With the busy lifes we are all living nowadays, we must do all we can as Mom's I feel to be there for our kids., have daily dicussions with them on ettiquette. Not always pushing them off to Grandparents house. or whoever offers to keep them. Use this time to bond with our kids.

flea575

Asked by flea575 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I personally, do all I can to assure myself that my son is learning all he can about the world- Santa isn't real, there are no such things as superheros (but he can pretend all he wants!) and at three, he understands the concept of death. I do screen his programming- I don't see a need for excessive violence/language. He is exposed to all sorts of people- homosexuals, pagans, different races, different family structures, ages, and different economic statuses. My son is as comfortable in the upper class (white) suburban cul-de-sac with both parents as he is in the income based, single mother, ethnic home. Because he's never been taught to judge, or see differences. "Innocence" is not always a good thing- let kids imagine and play, but don't lie to them about the real world.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:38 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• You know, everyone wants their child to "stay innocent" but to tell you the truth I really don't think that helps them at all in life.

We should do things to encourage imagination, love, wonder, etc. definitely. But as far as trying to hide the harsh realities of the world? All that does is leave them very unprepared to deal with the tough situations that life throws at us. Being unprepared for that can be very hard on the psyche and can cause things like depression and unrealistic views of reality and what life is supposed to be.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 7:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• You can do all that (protect their so called innocense and all). But then they grow up and all that protecting goes out the window. Proctect them from harm , yes I did. Try to keep them innocense all their life, no.

Answer by louise2 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I's funny cause my question I thought was not judgemental at all. Not reflective of any culture or income status, what I was trying to Convey is that I think in today's world there is so much out there to take our children's childhood away from them way to soon. Yes, of course no doubt I believe that they should experience the harsh realities of the world no less, but at the same time. I wanted our sons to be as happy and enjoy their youth as long as they possibly could.
    I hope no one was thinking I meant it to be a rude comment or reflective in any way that your not doing the very best you can as a parent. I think for the most part we all are., I'm just saying, I guess I look back on my own childhood, and honestly, wow how they world has changed. We just didn't know half the things these young people know. I just started working in a daycare and my Gosh some of the languaget that is coming from these babies is UNREAL
    wow
    t
    flea575

Comment by flea575 (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Jul. 31, 2010