Has your dd ever done this at her age?

My baby girl is 7 yrs. old and today for some reason out of the blue for about 10 minutes she says she feels like she wants to cry I said ok go ahead and cry thinking maybe her brother was picking on her or he had just hurt her but all of a sudden she did cry like she was sad like some kind of crying spell you know like us ladies get sometimes when we feel everything is piling up on us then we get help and things are fine. Well she did this for 10 min.s and she was fine I don't know what came over her but that was the first and it was weird. I don't know what to make of it. I just told her to let it all out and she will feel much better. I asked why is she crying? Are you hurting? Are you sad? Did your bro. Hit you? She just kept saying idk why mommy I just feel like crying.
What do you ladies make of this :( ??? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you have a sweet, sensitive, little girl. And kudos to you for letting her express herself.
    Anonymous

• When I was little I heard alot of what was going on in my family and out in the world and took it all to heart. Maybe she's just overwhelmed with what she experiences and needed to let it out. I used to cry for no apparent reason too. She might figure it out later. Talk things through with her.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• She might be imitating behavior that she's seen from family members - mom, aunts, grandmas, whoever. Or it might be that she's in touch with how she's feeling and letting it out in a healthy way. It's ok that she doesn't know - it's really normal for kids not to be able to label a feeling or explain why they're feeling a certain way.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• not sure why. i know my DD is only 4 and shes missing her daddy whos overseas right now and she tend to have crying spells when she missing him or see's other soldiers,etc.etc.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 7:48 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My DD does this too. She is very sensitive and sometimes she just needs to cry and she will say she doesn't know why. She just turned 6.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My daughter is 7 and ultra sensitive too. The other day she went into her bedroom and we could hear her just crying her head off. We went in to see what was wrong and she said that she is sad about our cat who died 4 years ago. She was 3 for goodness sakes! The cat didn't even like her, lol. She said she is upset that we can't see him anymore, just bawling away for no good reason other than she misses him.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My 5 1/2 year old does the same thing sometimes. She just says the "crying came up on her" and cries for a few then is all better. I've asked her doctor and he says it's normal for kids to do that. Said it happens more in girls than boys.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:05 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• There's always the weird chance that it's hormones kicking in. I was a teacher for 6 years and one day while I was at the office, an 8-yr old came down crying. She had started her period and thought she was dying! That was WAY TOO EARLY! Man, I didn't start until I was 13 and I wasn't truly ready for it (even though I KNEW it was coming!)
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 7:00 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I actually remember doing this when I was younger. It's emotions. Had nothing to do with being upset at any one thing.... but was just having a moment. Then it's over.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 12:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2010