At what age do babies start falling asleep on their own?

I mean like without being rocked or breastfed, ect.

jessicarae787

Asked by jessicarae787 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did at three months.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• when you allow them to. the more your baby gets used to being rocked or fed to sleep, they will not be able to learn to self soothe and become independant sleepers and babies. I NEVER fed my kid til he slept, or rocked him, unless he was sick or something.
    Anonymous

• My DD is a high maintenance baby, she didn't fall asleep on her own until she was 9 or 10 months old. And it took a lot of work on our part to get her to do it. My DS is having the same problems now. But, once you get them to fall asleep on their own it's great!
    pixiemom78

Answer by pixiemom78 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• When they are ready to do it. Could be three months, could be much much later. It's individual and there's no set age.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i started letting my son CIO at 6 months. i'm now letting my DD fuss herself to sleep. she's 9 weeks.
    Anonymous

• Try now. No matter how old, when baby is drowsy put them down for nap/night. It may not work the first time, but they will get used to it.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• No need to force the issue it only makes things worse for both of you. Sleep is a developmental stage that is reached in baby's own time. Hang in there! It will happen and know that holding baby, rocking baby, feeding baby,etc. at bedtime have absolutely no bearing on the child's independence. The studies show the complete opposite, those that are held and tended too immediately show more signs of independence then their counterparts. The baby's that are not held, rocked, left to CIO have trust and abandonment issues that can sometimes plague them for life.

Anonymous

• I have four kids and they all learned to fall asleep on there own within the first couple of weeks. It all depends on YOU. Just try to always put them down when they are tired but before they fall asleep. Soon they will get use to falling asleep that way and actually prefer it to being rocked to sleep.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 9:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• it has nothing to do with age, it depends on when you help them to do so. I put my baby down at bed time and for her naps while she was awake from the very beginning. Its not something they learn on their own, you got her into bad sleeping habits, now you have to get her out. Good luck.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:09 AM on Oct. 4, 2008