How would/does your child handle a full school day? (5/6yo)

How well does your child handle a full day of Kindergarten (vs. half day)?
Or how do you think your child would handle a full day of school if your child only goes half a day?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter handles it great. She's 6 and she went to kindergarten from 9am to 4pm and she was perfectly happy with it. We started with half days but most of her friends stayed there full time so she asked us to let her do that too. She was off school at 4, she did her homework for 20-30 minutes and the rest of the day was free so she also had time to do sports, dance classes, go on play dates, watch tv etc..
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 8:03 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I was so glad we had 1/2 days because I just didn't think my daughter would handle it well. I was so worried about her. She never went to preschool and she used to be very shy and I just wasn't sure. Oh boy was I clueless! lol That girl loved school and wished it was all day. Now she is so excited for 1st grade since she gets to go all day.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Julita went to a half-day kindergarten and had no problems. She would have loved to have stayed for the half-day aftercare program, but I couldn't afford it.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:24 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Kyra started all day at preschool at age 3 (2 weeks after her birthday) and loved it. I don't think she'd like a 1/2 day, she loves school so much.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My middle 2 kids did full day kindergarten and both loved it. Although the younger one had a little trouble adjusting to no naps. She said she kept falling asleep during quiet time every day the first couple of weeks but eventually adjusted. She sure didn't want to go on to 1st grade (kindergarten was too much fun). She'll be starting 2nd this year, the other one is starting 3rd and my oldest is going into 5th (she did afternoon kindergarten at a different school and loved it just as much).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Both of my kids went to 1/2 day kindergarten and personally, I prefer it that way. I remember when my now 8 yr old stated 1st grade, he'd come home exhausted the first several weeks. It was a long, long day for him. I found 1/2 day to be great transition to elementary school. They covered a LOT of material in that time too. FWIW, that have been studies that show the benefits of full-day K vs 1/2 day K disappear around the 3rd grade -- meaning any boost you get from a full-day now has balanced off by the time the kids are 8 or 9 yrs old.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:19 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My dd is almost 4, hasnt went to PreK or anything yet. But I just find it hard K will be all day. I dont even like 1st & 2nd grade being all day! .....
    MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My son is in preschool and does an all day program. He does just fine. They eat lunch, snack, take a nap each day at the same time....he is into his routine and groove. It is all what they are used to. He is used to going the entire day so he does. For him being picked up early means me picking him up at two thirty. Because we both worked he did extended day until five thirty. Now that I do not work he still will be doing the full day program. After nap, two thirty, I will pick him up. I aksed him and he prefers to nap at school with his friends. He takes a two hour nap after lunch each day and his teachers report he takes the full two hours each day. For him, bringing him home before lunch would be awful. He would miss out on pizza day and other special days he loves.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My daughter loved it. She was in from 8-3 and never had a problem. She learned so much over the year and I was really happy with the progress she made.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My 2 grade son still can't go a whole day which is why we home school. if the child is well adjusted and mature enough for school, there shouldn't be any problems for most kids.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 11:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2010