My 1st grade daughter want to go to public, but I am sick and I do not want to lose the time.

My daughter wants to go to real school this year! I would not have a problem with this but I have huntingtons disease. So I do not have a lot of time left with her BEFORE I CAN NOT home school becasue of this......I am having a hard time Making her stay home with me.........

Altho she does not know that I am sick.

And I can not tell them yet ..

Please help me what would u do MAke her saty home with u becasue u know you will not be there in 10 yeasrs or sooner or let her go beacuse she wants to?

Melany

I really feel like I am going to be Robed of a year or more with her!

I can home school now but in the future I wont be able to....

four2bmws

Asked by four2bmws at 9:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• What do you think would be best for her?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• HAveing the time with Mom. My Mom has HD to and she really stoped be my mom when I was 10...
    four2bmws

Comment by four2bmws (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• When do you plan on talking with your daughter? I say, have her been in clubs, social activites with kids her age but let her stay home schooled. When she is older and has those memories of you she will be so thankful.
    EyeofOdin

Answer by EyeofOdin at 9:53 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• PP When they start to notice some thing different with me. My Mom Is very vilent right now so I really dont want my girls to find out I have what my mom has.
    four2bmws

Comment by four2bmws (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• i would be honest with my daughter about my feelings and what is happening in an age appropriate way if possible. and i don't mean this at all as harsh as it will sound but i think your reasons for home schooling are selfish. although i completely appreciate what you're saying and your desire to be with your daughter. her ability to learn to function in this environment will only serve to strengthen her after you're gone. and there are lots of hours in the day to help with homework, play games, and the weekends to plan special activities - i.e. plenty of time to spend doing meaningful things with your daughter and teaching her in other areas of life, which is what she REALLy needs from you as her parent. She should be prepared for what is going to happen in her life on all levels including your illness and her independence.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I would just tell her I am not ready to let her go yet. But if she will be patient she will understand one day. Your post has me in tears. Even if she thinks it is not fair she WILL understand one day.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• you had best tell her now! you don't want her to be pissed off because you didn't have the guts to talk to her!
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Crazymom ya I am trying not to cry to

Figar u really think i am selfish?
    four2bmws

Comment by four2bmws (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Since this disease is passed genetically shouldn't you already be talking about this with your daughter?
    In first grade at public school there are many opportunities to volunteer time in the classroom. Why don't you get in good with the teacher and be her right hand woman thus getting to spend time with your daughter in her education. As well as giving her opportunnities to meet friends that she will need to reply upon later when you have lifes struggles?
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 11:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Firstly, I'm sorry you have to deal with this at all. Huntington's is a horrid illness, my MIL had ALS, so I understand better than many.
    However, My advice is to give her the best you can while you are here. If it will make her happier to go to public, I would say send her. I would think it's more important for YOU to see her happy than to try and force her to stay home. Also, it will be good for both of you, to help her get in to a public school and a "regular" life before she has to face the loss of her mother. The stronger those friendships are the more support she will have when the time comes. I can understand your wanting to be with her as much as possible, BUT, what is more important than YOU being with her is HER knowing how much you love her once you are gone...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 PM on Jul. 31, 2010