What do you think of the layaway program at KMART?

I am thinking about doing this with some Christmas gifts, but my husband says he has heard it's a rip off.

KamiB79

Asked by KamiB79 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• There is a five dollar alyaway fee...

payments are every two weeks for eight weeks and your payments are 10% of your total a week.....
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Don't you usually end up paying more for their items than what they originally cost?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 9:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Wow,,your taking me wayyyy back in time here. Trying to remember. I did this when the kids where little and money was so tight. I went shopping in August for Christmas and did the layaway at K-mart. You have to pay so much per month. I know there is an interest charge, but I dont remember it being a total rip off. Talk to them, they have a counter and an assistant who will be happy to help you. The one good thing it did was keep me from charging up credit cards b/c that interest was even more of a rip off. Merry shopping and good luck!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Love lay-a-way. wish wal-mart still had it
    blrusso

Answer by blrusso at 9:37 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• LOVE it!! It is a little more in the long run by like 10m or15 dollars I don't remember... It is well worth it when you have no money for shopping though. You make bi-weekly payments for something like 8 weeks.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:39 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I have used their layaway program a few times, there was a $5 fee for it, but to me it was well worth it to be able to pick out what my kids needed and pay for it all over time.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I'm glad they brought that service back for the people who want to use it.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• If you do it you will pay a layaway fee, plus if the items you put on layaway go on sale, you won't get the sale price. Another missed money saving opportunity. It would be better to come up with a Christmas budget, decide how much you can afford to spend per person and shop accordingly to your budget. Once you run out of money, you have to stop shopping.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• When I worked there, yes there was small fee $3 or $5. You had ten weeks to pay it off and were required to put 10% down plus the fee. Where I worked, if your items went on sale while on layaway you came to our department and we could run the computer to adjust the prices down to the current sale prices. This was mainly used for clothing. It was convenient for Spring patio furniture, Christmas toys, guns and jewelry. Once you picked up your layaway, you could return anything you no longer wanted right at the service desk.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Erica, if you didn't pay you would lose your items and the fee but not the money you had put down as your percentage payment.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 6:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2010