How do you reprimand when he's so freaking cute?

My son is almost 19 mos and into everything! I want to be mad but I always end up laughing cause he is so innocent and cute! I'll call him out and he runs to me smiling. How am I possibly going to raise a well adjusted son if he's too sweet to get in trouble!

EyeofOdin

Asked by EyeofOdin at 9:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• :-) I just get onto her then keep a strait face until I get to the bathroom, bedroom, where ever and giggle. It's hard to be mad when they're smiling!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Grow a pair and be the parent.
    If you don't start reprimanding him now he's going to be a hellin' when he's older.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:38 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I have the same problem even though it maybe cute and funny you still have to put your foot down
    Brittyt4you_

Answer by Brittyt4you_ at 9:38 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• O I do when its serious. But he is still so much fun! The house is in total disarray again but its so funny watching him move about. He goes to Daycare on Fridays and they always have BUSY circled. It is so true! He is busy busy busy! Such a happy fella! Just had to gush abit about my boy!
    EyeofOdin

Comment by EyeofOdin (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Try distracting him. It is sweet about your little dear.

Answer by Bmat at 9:50 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Yikes, that's why a lot of children are never disciplined. You have to be tough. I always put it this way, remember those little kids that used to annoy you so much at the mall, in restaurants, etc., well, you don't want that to be your kid. I know he's cute to you, but how cute is he to others? Be strong, mom.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• read the book "unconditional parenting" by Alfie Kohn... no you do not have to punish your child to help him grow up to be a normal happy adult...i also agree that distraction works great, also childproofing EVERYTHING helps a lot to avoid power struggles...good luck mama, keep following your instincts
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 1:37 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• This may not help you other than to let you know that I can relate. When my son was 4 I was trying soooo hard to be serious and reprimand him for something and he gets this cheezy-ass grin & he giggles and says, "Mommy, you're so cute when you're angry!". I totally lost it! From that moment forward he's had me wrapped around his finger and has been running the show. Good news? He's almost 18 & he's so amazingly sweet, smart, funny & generous & I couldn't be more proud of the incredible man he has grown up to be. Personally, I think it's more important to let your kid know they are loved & to set an example as a quality human being than it is to be strict & stern & the big scary boss. This is just my humble opinion & perhaps my lucky circumstances.. take it for what you will. (background info.. I've been a single mommy from the start (prego at 17) & his "father" has had virtually no contact for the last 10 years).
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 2:18 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• You'd be a pretty crap parent if you didn't occasionally find the mischief funny. You need to pick your battles and make sure he understands that naught behavior is not to be repeated even if it does make mummy giggle the first time.

Make sure you're setting a good example too. The other day my guy was telling me to come play Candyland and I corrected him by saying "how about you ask nicely? May we please play candy land now?". Sarcastic little man replied "Yes we may, thank you for asking nicely.". I really couldn't get mad at him because I know he gets it from me.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 12:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010