Is anyone else getting highly annoyed with the "I'm a Mormon" commercials?

We only have basic cable so I'm usually watching one of the "Major Networks" - ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC - as of like last week these "I am a Mormon" commercials seem to be on every 10 mins... And now they've started playing them on the radio too...

Now, I'm always the type to invite door to door people in and chat. I'm as firm in my beliefs as they are, but it makes for some interesting conversation and helps to open the way for future education on both sides... But I feel like with these commercials they are in my house and I didn't invite them... I've even seen them on between my kids shows. If you wanna "spread the word" I don't care, but this is a bit much!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• haven't seen those... where do you live? maybe it's a region thing.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Haven't seen them either. I've only got those same channels bc we have only over the air signal :) they would get on my nerves to though :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Nope, and I had the door to door talk today with an absolutely wonderful JW today...and she promised to come back!!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I'm in PA... I don't think it's regional though... they are funded by Mormon.org...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I've seen those. What a load of hooey! I doubt anyone has changed religion because of a tv commercial!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I haven't had a door to door person in ages... The JWs don't come to my house even when they do my street because it's my grams house and she's a JW, most of them don't know she moved... And honestly I've only had Mormons twice ever! But like I said, I don't mind the door to door people - if I don't want to hear it I can simply ask them to leave, but this a bit much... And I think it ads to the negativity surrounding the Mormon church and beliefs...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I don't have TV service (just DVD's and netflix) so I haven't seen any of them.

But I'll admit, as a member of that church, I'm confused at the slogan of "I'm a Mormon." That's just supposed to be a nickname....We generally like to say the whole name of the church (although The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a bit long) to focus on the whole Jesus being the center of our faith thing.

Anyway, as you might have guessed by my not having TV service, I pretty much just hate all commercials. I studied advertising in college, and watching them just feels like I'm back in the text books; not fun.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I havent seen those either :(

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Here are the ads... If you want to see them...

http://mormon.org/people/

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• We used to have mormons on bike come to our house regularly...always young men.Delightful little lads. Haven't seen any JW's in a long time and we have 2 large congregations within about 8 miles from us. I've never had a problem with anyone coming to my door or commercials or corner preachers or whatever.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2010