my 5 year old wants to do ballet

I think she would love it cause she loves to dance, but does anyone know howmuch it costs and what you have to buy?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Starting out in Ballet doesn't require a lot of equipment, some tights and a leotard are usually the basic requirements. As for classes, it will depend on the number of classes and the time commitment.

If you want to simply get a sense of her level of interest, a class at a school that does recitals might be most fun. They usually break things out by semester, ending each season with a dance performance. If that is the case, be prepared to spend on the recital costume - they are generallly a bit fancier with sparkles and bows and can be pricey.

Good luck, and I hope she enjoys the experience.
    Onemiracle

Answer by Onemiracle at 10:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I guess it all just depends on the dance studio you take her to. I pay $35 a month for my daughter's ballet and tap. She has class every Tuesday for an hour. Recital costumes are $70 a piece (she only does 2 dances so totals $140 for me). But every place is different. I would just do some research on the studios in your area
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Call your local dance school for prices but you will have to buy tights, a leotard and ballet slippers. But wait to purchase anything as there are often dress codes regarding colors, etc.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My 6 year old just started ballet at a local studio. She does Saturday morning classes (2 hours) and the studio charges $75 a month. Her leotards, shoes, and tights were handed down from a friend.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:39 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I have done ballet my whole life, and if you want her to be goos, it is expensive, recitals, travel, and costumes, My mom paid almosy 3 grand a year, but for basic ballet it is like 120 a month
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 2, 2010