What's the difference between sherry and cooking sherry?

Is there a difference? I bought some cooking sherry today but was wondering if sherry is less expensive. I'm going to make bombay chicken. I don't drink (never have) so I don't really know if there is a difference or not.

zboys

Asked by zboys at 10:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Taste it.
    Never cook with anything you wouldn't drink alone! If it tastes nasty, your finished dish will taste nasty.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• cooking sherry is generally pretty nasty, and only used for cooking. A sherry can be drank for enjoyment. If the wine isn't good enough to drink straight..it isn't good enough to cook with. don't waste your money on cooking sherry, buy the good stuff and GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:21 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• cooking sherry is full of salt or at least that is what I learned from the food network and like someone already said. It was pointed out on that show to only use Sherry you can drink. Stands to reason if it taste bad it isn't good for your dish.
    Wittyprncess

Answer by Wittyprncess at 10:51 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• cooking sherry is gross, don't use it.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2010