Teens and gay pride

Rather your a parent or auntie {teens under 16 }will you allow them to go to Gay Pride?

Is that a good idea or inappropriate? Please explain your answer

Rage419

Asked by Rage419 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• What's gay pride? That parade in San Fransisco?

Anyways, if that's what you're talking about then no. It's like the gay mardi gras and I don't think a lot of the things in the parade are appropriate for younger children.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I think it depends on who they are going with, just like any other event. If it were my kid I would probably go with them. This way I can support them and at the same time make sure they don't get into trouble.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 2:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• As a mother, we've chosen not to go to SF Gay Pride this year because it's not as family oriented. We do take our entire family (nieces and nephew included) to the Pride parade and festivities in our hometown, because it's smaller and much more family oriented. They even have a kids area and family day with games and sports.
    I would personally take an older teen to the SF celebration, but our son is only 3 and last year asked us why a man was wearing open-rear chaps...so we decided this year we'd skip.
    DeylansMama

Answer by DeylansMama at 2:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• NO.... my brothers went (they arent even gay) They came back and had a really good time. Gay people are people too. Just because you like the same sex doesnt mean youre a bad person. I dont think it should matter. My brother were 17 and 19 when they went .... last year .... and they came back and said they meant a lot of cool people. They are just going to support the people and their rights.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 6:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• kiansmom why did you say no your answer contradicts the no?
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 9:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I don't think its a matter of liking or disliking gay people. But things happens there, that may be to much for children or teens. I know that its real life but if you don't need to expose your young ones to certain things why should you? Theres other places your kids could be going to have fun, clean fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• yeah i dont think it has anything to really do with agreeing or disagreeing with the gay contraversy...SP? haha.. but if they are under 16 .. i dont think its appropriate. there is alot of stuff going on there that just is NOT for kids...
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:16 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I don't let my daughter go to Denver Gay Pride because it has a rep for being pretty wild, but she's gone to Gay Pride here in Colorado Springs for 3 years running. 2 years in a row I was able to go with her, this year I had to work and she went with friends.
    There is nothing wrong with going at all, when she is 18 we might try Denver Pride, but I honestly like the more family orientated CS Pride events.
    MysticFerret

Answer by MysticFerret at 11:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2008