How do I get my 6 almost 7 year old to quit sneaking treats?

I rarely buy treats for the house but every once in a while I do. We always have plenty of fresh fruits and other healthy choices for him to chose. The thursday I bought some ice cream bars and dreamicles. I keep them in a freezer in the garage. Today went to get some for the family as a treat and all 24 bars are gone. My son admits to taking them. No matter what punishment I have tried he will still do it. Any one have any suggestions on how to get him to stop?

mommy2boys03

Asked by mommy2boys03 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Only way to get him to stop for sure is don't have it in the house.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:51 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Don't buy them. Not being a smart alec but it just seems like you shouldn't tempt the child.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:51 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• a lock on the freezer?
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• But...I wouldn't do that myself... we all deserve some treats...even my kitty gets treats lol (:
    Cochise

• omg..I was the ding dong thief in our house! I would grab whatever was wrapped in the sweets drawer and hide it under my bed. I was soooo bad. How bout putting them in the freezer in the house? He wont have as much of an easy access to them that way.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• dont buy them
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• maybe just buy single servings and eat them as soon as they are brought home.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 10:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Maybe try only buying treats when you're going to eat them at that exact moment. If they aren't there he can't take them.

OR

Maybe tell him that every time he takes treats from the freezer you're not going to buy them for a whole month and he's not allowed to have any when you buy them to eat immediately because he took the treats from the rest of you and has already had his.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 11:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Hide them better :) my kids ate all my cookies the other night after I shared some. I came back and they had gotten the box and finished them ugh they are ninjas I tell you
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I hide sweets above the stove or on top of the fridge... or my 6 yr old DD will eat it all before I even wake up in the mornings!! LOL

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:21 AM on Aug. 1, 2010