Quick questions!

How old do you really wean your child off formula to whole milk? I've seen so many different ages! And how can i help my daughter finger feed herself? Any tips would help. Thank you moms!!

mercy928

Asked by mercy928 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do it an ounce at a time
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:53 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• By that I mean if you have a 12 ounce bottle...put 11 ounces of formula and 1 ounce of milk...for a few days.....then go 10 ounces of formula and 2 ounces of milk....until your giving all milk.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• How old is your daughter? Most dr's say to not give them whole milk until they are 1. When my son was 1 i would make a bottle with half formula half milk and I gradually decreased the formula. As for finger feeding just put whatever you are trying to get her to eat in front of her....babies will grab onto things and put them in their mouths because they are curious.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 10:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I was told at 1 year, and since I was on WIC and they started giving me milk, I kind of had no choice

I did 6oz formula with 2 oz milk for about a week, then 4&4oz for a week, then 2oz formula with 6 oz milk for a week, then we were on all milk.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I switched to whole milk at 11 months. And I can't help you with the finger foods bc my son always loved feeding himself. I never had to show him how.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 10:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I started at ten months mixing a little milk and formula and by a year he was completely on milk. (of course I will add they say you shouldn't give children under one milk so I kind of broke the rules. But he is just fine)

At 7 months we started feeding my son cheerios. We started by braking them in half to see how he does. He did well and really liked them. We would put them in front of him and he would work really hard to get them in his mouth. (it was sooo cute!) He was able to feed himself very well within a month.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• We ran out of formula at about 11 mos and gave him full milk, when we went in for his yr doc visit she said that he was very heathly and fine to continue forward. He also drinks soymilk. We just started having snacks and meals for him to use with his hands, soft appropiate food and we let nature take its course. We stopped pureeing a little after his first birthday.
    EyeofOdin

Answer by EyeofOdin at 10:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I just switched on her first birthday. Soy formula in the bottle the day before, then a sippy of milk on the first b-day.
    And with the finger foods, when she was about 6-7 months, I'd put a few cheerios or something like that in her high chair tray and let her go to town with them for about 10 minutes before feeding her the food. She had the hang of it by 8 months.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• whole milk isn't good for them until they are 12 months. Once my daughter tasted the whole milk, she wouldn't drink formula anymore. so she was pretty easy to switch over.
    as for feeding herself, i started her out with little things that were easy for her to chew (the Gerber snacks worked well b/c they melted in her mouth) .. I just tried little things like that until she got the hang of it.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Finger feeding she must learn hersef. No purees or spoon feeding. just put pieces of food in front of her at family mealtime. cheerios and puffs not needed. we don't do processed. peas, halved blueberries, cut grapes, avocado,beans of all kinds, ripe pear, kiwi, butternut squash, asparagus, carrot coins broccoli, etc. baby led intro to solids my 10 goes for anything just about (we don't do dairy, meat, fish, or nuts). we started table foods, no puree or cereal ever, at 7 1/2 months.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2010